Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomenj

Gunite vs. Steel Vinyl Liner with High Water Table

newhomenj
10 years ago

Hi -- Ispeaking to PB now for a new pool. We are speaking to them about Gunite vs. Steep Vinyl Liner. We have I believe fairly high water table (4 feet). What type of pool is best?

Also -- I've heard different preferences on Vinyl LIner vs. Gunite.

Most recently a friend say he prefers Vinyl as Gunite finish has tendancy to peel/start getting nicks.

Finally, it would be great to understand preferences on traditional chlorine vs. salt water. My husband has bad sinuses and we're deciding which type to go with. Also, is there a better filtration to consider.

Thanks for all advice! V

Comments (15)

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

Never heard of gunite peeling or getting nicks. I have heard of vinyl liners tearing and ripping.

We have high water table and are in flood prone area. When we have excess rain, I do have neighbors who get liner issues. Hurricane Irene put my neighborhood under 2 feet of water and everyone that had liner pools had them bubble up and tear/rip away from sides. Gunite pools survived without a scratch. Bad memories....

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

We have a high water table. Every single liner pool in our subdivision has trouble. Ranging from big bubbles and/or permanent wrinkles. Every single liner pool. On my street alone there are 5 and all have issues and we've never had a flood or a hurricane. We went with gunite as did 3 other neighbors. No problems. Knock wood.

Two things that were have-to-haves when planning our pool: gunite and salt water generator.

You might want to ask questions about filtration systems and salt vs. chlorine in separate posts so they don't get lost. Good luck!

• newhomenj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both -- very helpful and seems like strong votes for gunite! When you put in your gunite pool, how deep and did you install those well points (not sure of exact name).

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

4 feet of water shallow end, and 7 feet of water deep end. Not sure what you mean by well points?

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    10 years ago

The well point is at the deepest end of the pool. Be careful installing one. A hydrostatic valve might work better.

Sometimes depending on what is surrounding your property if you are constantly pumping water out from under your pool you could also be pumping water from underneath other structures. Many times the water is what is supporting the structure. If you dry soil out than your soil will fail. That's how sink holes happen.

Consult a soils engineer and do some testing before you install a pool. I have a soils report done before I even finalize a bid on a project. He can tell you what type of soil you have so you can appropriately design the engineering for your pool. It's cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.

• jerseyjenn
    10 years ago

Hi thejimbar, we just finished our pool and would like to put in a small pool house. I love yours! my question is what did you build yours on, and what did you do for your floor? I love your whole set up and your pool is beautiful!
    Thanks, Jenn

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

Cabana is built on a stamped concrete slab. Photos below.
    see www.summerwood.com for ideas. We used one of their designs and modified the inside a bit. Had a contractor build the structure and do the sheetrock and electric. I put in the cabinets, did the painting, and added the cold water line and the sink with a drain into a dry well.
    Also added an outdoor shower with a propane fired water heater/shower setup.

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

Thx.

This post was edited by thejimbar on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 23:02

• jerseyjenn
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the pics thejimbar, I love it! We have the mason coming out tomorrow to talk about the concrete and I am going to show him your pictures to give him an idea of what we are looking for. Thanks agian for inspiration!

• newhomenj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi thejimbar -- how wide is the opening for the bar window and how did you close it? Is it a roll down window? And if so, where did you get it? Thanks! V

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

It's 68 inches and it's an aluminum roller shutter. You can sort of see it in the 7th picture in the last series of photos, top left side of photo. It's a hand cranked unit and is installed inside. Works great and stays protected.

To keep this a thread about high water tables, here's a photo of the cabana under water, if you look closely at the photo, the water line was actually about a foot higher at it's worst.....

Here is a link that might be useful: RollerStar shutters

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

This is where I ultimately bought them.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACC Mfg Roller Guard Shutters

• jerseyjenn
    10 years ago

Hi Jim, I just met with the mason and what a small world Caeser says hi! I didn't even realize you were from NJ. Once again thanks for your pictures, we don't have as much space as you do but hopefully something similar on a smaller scale. The cabana is my husbands project so he working on a design and he loved your set up!

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

That's crazy coincidental for sure. Think he did my pavers too... We are in Montville.