Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbphathead19

Easement Question

lbphathead19
11 years ago

I have a storm drain entrance in my front yard that runs underground to the flood control behind my home. I have a 10 ft easement from this pipe. My question is, can a put a concrete sitting area /deck over this. the pool will butt up against the easement.

Any other suggestions or options would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (12)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I would be surprised if your local zoning board would allow it. If they did though, you would need a variance and would likely be responsible for the costs involved in removing and replacing anything in the easement.

Scott

• lbphathead19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

when pb comes by to give bids will they know about this variance. We had 5 pb come out and none even noticed this. I just happened to think about it one day and said "Oh crap what about the storm drain." Now trying to find a way to have a sizeable pool in a limited yard.

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

What City do you live in?

• womanowned
    11 years ago

It really does depend on the city or municipality. Even your HOA may weigh in with a rule. If you are not in a permit/inspection required area, you can put decking on top of an easement as long as you know that they have every right to tear out what you have built if they need to get to those lines.

• lbphathead19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in huntington beach California

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

I am going down to the building department today in Huntington Beach to pick up a permit. I will check on that question for you. Ill get back to you later in the day.

• lbphathead19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much i really do appreciate the assistance.

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

lbphathead,
    This is what I found out. After talking to the permit tech at the counter he told me that your drainage pipe issue would have to be resolved with the Orange County municipal water district. Once you get permission from them then you have to take that letter to the building department in Huntington Beach. Hope that helps.

• lbphathead19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. Would the PB be of any assistance. He should know the codes, correct?
    I really want to use the space for the shallow end of the pool, but don't think that will fly..

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

I've built pools in almost every city in Orange County. If a homeowner tells me I have a pipe to deal with or an easement I will go down and check on all the requirements before I start the design. I'll still call and check with the city and see if there are any changes since the last time I did a pool in that city. They occasionally change requirements.

• lbphathead19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pools 94 you have been a great help. What company do you build for. I might be interested in you coming out and doing a bid. Let me know if interested.

Thanks

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

Hi lbphathead,
    I've been on and off this forum since 2005. I know they have very strict rules about soliciting. I've seen a couple of the builders kicked off this forum before because they had their company names in the thread or part of their username. I've had people email through my page before but if that does not work I'll give you my email. It's grantpools@gmail.com.I would be happy to come out and take a look or just give you some insight. Thanks