Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Survey!! 1)Pic/sketch of Pool 2) Cost 3) Location

Posted by JuniperSt (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 1:50

If you are willing I'd be so grateful. Trying to convince my husband we can get afford a nice pool for the family. Can we start a thread where we post a pic of the pool or sketch/rendering, reveal the final cost, and say what state you live in? I'd be pleased to hear any advice as well.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Survey!! 1)Pic/sketch of Pool 2) Cost 3) Location

Pool costs very so widely by location, not sure how this would help you convince him.
Talk to local builder.

o

Agree with just-a-pb. You can have pools from $30k in one area and it be $75 in another. The best way to is go talk to pool builders in your area.

o

What area re you in? I'm in Texas and my sister is in Tennessee. I just completed a pool and my sister is getting estimates so I am trying to compare prices relative to Texas for their pool. So many things depend though so it's hard to really compare. Soil is easy to dig locally, some places like Tennessee may have a lot of stone they have to deal with which greatly increases costs.

o

I'm in Florida and there are numerous builders who advertise $25K pools.
What happens is that you want a specific shape, specific finish/color, add waterfalls/spillovers/fountains, etc, automation, certain pavers, and so on, and it turns into a $50K pool. Anything unique about your yard will raise the price - i.e. my backyard is along a seawall so requires a special beam on one side, Also, narrow access in the side yard meant special digging equipment - more back-and-forth trips with a smaller bobcat. Others mentioned the soil and possibility of tough digging. We have a high water table so we had to have a pump sucking water out for days and that got annoying to listen to.

I interviewed no less than a dozen pool builders. I got about 5 real quotes to choose from. The most annoying classic used-car-salesman-type guy had no clue what I was talking about and came back with a design that was nothing like what I wanted but it was only $30K.

We ended up using not the lowest price but one who had references that we knew (friends of ours, it turned out) and a mason sub-contractor that we had used before and really liked. In the end we were out somewhere in the $55-60K range.

Here's a link to the pool design and my blog about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My New Blue Pool Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here