Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pooldreamer_2010

Ozone pool owners, please share experiences

pooldreamer_2010
13 years ago

I am down to deciding on ozone or salt water. I feel I have good info on salt,but need more on ozone. If you are an owner of one PLEASE let me know if it works? Is it safe(off gassing), how long does equipment last? How will I know if it is time to add chlorine? Do I have to run my pump constantly and is that pricey? Thank you in advance for your time : )

Comments (3)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

pooldreamer, I don't build pools, I fix and augment them.

Is Ozone safe for use in a pool: Normally, Yes. It's not used in the concentration needed to hurt anyone or anything except for the small amount of residual free chlorine passing the injector.

Most ozone systems need periodic maintenance and service as do salt cells, filters, heaters, pumps...

Properly cared for, an ozone system can last a very long time. As to recurring costs, if you are the handy type, you can usually do it. Commonly needed service items include bulbs, check valves, and hoses.

As to how will you know when to add chlorine, well that is a part of the regular testing your water for it, as well as other chem levels that need to be tested for. A good test kit is essential. People often go cheap and use strips and then run into problems as a result of the inaccuracies strips are notorious for.

How long to run your pump is something that has a lot of dynamics to account for. Pool size, plumbing sizes, equipment used, distance of the run from the pool and elevation all play a role.

Energy costs vary. Combined with the above mentioned paragraph, and the fact that every pool is different, run times and budgeting for energy.

My 25K gallon pool costs me about $60 a month with a 1HP pump. I run my pump about 10 hours a day.

Scott

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

Quote :I am down to deciding on ozone or salt water. I feel I have good info on salt,but need more on ozone. If you are an owner of one PLEASE let me know if it works? Is it safe(off gassing), how long does equipment last? How will I know if it is time to add chlorine? Do I have to run my pump constantly and is that pricey? Thank you in advance for your time : )

We have an Aquarite SWG and we love it. Our pool is one year old and we have no staining or corrosion. The pump runs 2 hrs per day and the SWG is connected to the pump. Our pump is 1.5hp. Running amps for pump is 9.1amps. Running amps for SWG is 1amp. Total running amps for SWG and pool pump is 10.1 amps. Our cost to run the system is $0.54 per day. Electric in Jacksonville is $0.12 per KWH. We use the BBB method, ( that is Baking Soda, Bleach and Borax) in our pool. I test the pool chemistry every Saturday using the TFP-100 kit and I add muratic acid as my plaster is new and I run SWG and aeration so my pH will rise. No need to add bleach because the SWG produces enough to keep the water sparkley. I only add bleach when we have excessive swimmers per the TFP specifications. It is very simple and easy. Go to trouble free pools forum at http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html and read pool school at least 3 times so you will understand how to take care of pools. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in Jacksonville FL

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for your input! I was writing the information down as I was reading : )I am going to go to that website, as well, because I want to be a good pool owner and have my pool at top peak. I have a feeling my future pool will become baby : )