Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying factory direct

Posted by sammyw (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 1:24

Came across a website 'Swimming pool now' who sell fiberglass pools direct from multiple manafacturers. Noticed that they sell the model that we want from Leisure Pools here in central Texas. They also have a 'name your price' option which is set up as a three way negotiation between the buyer, swimming pool now and the manafacturer.
We are still looking at pool companies to do the install but were wondering how buying the shell would change the dynamics of the whole transaction. Could the pool builder purchase it even cheaper and would they even want to get involved if we purchased the shell? We'd be wanting a deck and outdoor kitchen too so it wouldn't just be the pool. Any thoughts about going this route?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying factory direct

It would be like bringing your own steak to Morton's or Ruth's Chris Steak House and expecting them to serve it to you. A good installer will say no, you're on your own buddy.

There are so many things that can go wrong, I could guarantee you'd find at least one of them that would mess things up, blowing any savings you might have reaped to get things fixed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you plan on doing the work yourself and know what you are doing, buying off the net is fine if you can stand the pain of something breaking and having to fix it yourself. An internet dealer isn't coming to your house. A manufacturer's 3rd party service rep will come when there isn't anyone else for them to service because manufacturers don't pay well.

Scott

o
RE: Buying factory direct

Understood. Won't be going that route. Much obliged for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here