Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
filtration backwash drain line

Posted by texasnurse (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 23:28

Just on the down side of a complete pool remodel. The equipment was relocated. I have discovered that the contractor ran the filtration backwash drain line into the landscape. The prior system was plumbed into the sewer system. Is this an acceptable practice? Not sure how I feel about open drainage....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: filtration backwash drain line

Storm water sewers or sewage system? Local laws may apply for technical purposes.

As for personal feelings, if you contracted to just move it and the local laws don't require it, you may be on the hook for putting it where you want it, assuming this is reasonable and doable.

Scott

o

What is the big deal with draining it to the landscape?

o

Not sure if its a big deal to drain to the landscape. It looks kinda tacky. Will post pic. Many people I have talked to have never heard of such and that the water may be toxic to the plants. How much water would be drained and how often? We will be converting to saline. The old system was draining to the sewer system. We underwent a complete pool remodel including demo and replacement of deck and coping. I guess I need to check local code. To add to the complexity of the matter the landscape bed where the drain was placed borders an apartment complex so any overage would be spilled onto their property.

o

pics of drain

o

pump

o

pump

o

drain

o

flagstone coping. love the pool!

o

Uh, no, that is wrong and should not have been done. They were lazy.

You don't leave a waste line through a wall several feet in the air like that. You don't leave a hole that mice and such can climb through. You don't let waste water just fall on landscaping from a few feet up. You don't leave a bare pipe end.

Bring the pipe down to the ground. Flash the hole neatly. Put a fitting for a backwash hose on the end of the pipe. Use a quality backwash hose to carry the waste water away to where it won't present any issues.

Scott

o

Scott,
We spent a lot of money on the remodel and felt like this was not right. In my opinon it should have been run to the sewer like it was before the remodel. We had the deck up and then poured a new deck. I really think it was an ooopps!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here