Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

Residential pools auto refill?

ilmbg
10 years ago

I was told recently that pools now come with 'auto refill', meaning you no longer have to 'top off' a pool with water when the level drops. I can see this in large public pools, but I would imagine it would add to the cost. And what homeowner would be so lazy that they can't get a hose out and turn on the faucett!?

Comments (16)

• b8mn1
    10 years ago

ilmbg,
    you clearly don't have much experience with modern pools.... I have automated pumps, lights and clorinators.. why would I want to use a hose to fill my pool .. the cost to add an auto-fill must be one of the cheapest, most bang for the buck, options available today. I think they are all standard becuase they cost so little and save so much headache...

I can remember forgetting the hose in my above ground,, what a waste of water....

• chatterbox724
    10 years ago

I had a pool recently put in and I don't have "auto fill." I do however have a nice pipe/lever system that goes from my faucet, under my decking and into my pool. When my pool is low, I go to the faucet, turn the lever, and fill my pool. This is way more convenient than dragging a hose in and out. Not sure if there is something better out there, but I certainly didn't get it if it's offered.

• golfgeek
    10 years ago

An auto-fill is cheap, usually less than $150 installed on a new pool. It is a water saving device because it keeps the pool at a constant level. It is also a pump saving device because it doesn't let the water level drop to the point that the pump loses it prime.
    Going on vacation for a couple weeks? No problem.
    I've used auto-fills on pools as standard equipment since about 1984. The failure rate is extremely low. Float removal may be necessary for those that winterize their pools.
    I can't believe that they are not standard equipment on every pool.

• Flipp1105
    10 years ago

All of my neighbors complain about having to top their pools off weekly. Not me, my auto-fill does the work for me. One less headache for me.

• almost_there
    10 years ago

Auto fill might be my favorite feature! Definitely worth it.

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

It's basically a toilet valve in a plastic enclosure that pipes into a "return" in your pool. Mine is hooked up to a hose line from the house. Simple, cheap. My PB puts it in as standard on all his pools. May cost more to install now that your pool is already in.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

I didn't get autofill on my pool and don't regret it. At the time it was because I didn't want to waste my budget on something so frivolous - we are all manual and it is no trouble at all, and I feel like I understand my pool better because I'm the one managing it, not some $1000 computer.

The one thing autofills don't have is a weather forecast. It might be low now, but after that torrential downpour forecast for this afternoon, it could be overflowing, and I've just saved myself a chunk out of my water bill.

Of course, earlier in the week I waited three days and all the thunderstorms missed us, and I couldn't stand it anymore because it was about to go lower than the skimmers, so I filled it from my underground 1500gal cistern tank (free water). The next two days we had torrential downpours. At least the cistern was refilled.

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

$75 housing

and a $13 "computer"..not as sophisticated as you think.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

FYI - when I wrote "computer" I was referring to the entire automated system that most people buy because they would rather spend the money than manually flip all the valves and start up the spa heater and flip the switch a bunch of times to figure out the disco lights, nor be bothered to check the level of water in the pool once in a while. And of course the newer ones can all be controlled with your smartphone so you don't even have to go outside. The automated systems are nice, but a luxury that I didn't want to spend money on being frugal types.
    Of course I understand that the autofill itself is not that expensive. But as part of the automated package that I was being offered, no thanks. Especially since city water is expensive, too, and I'd rather have control over it and as noted, use my free water.

• Chris
    10 years ago

I agree with Flipp1105.

My inlaws don't have automation and it's their deepest regret. It's a bit of a pain to have to scramble around in the dark using a flashlight to manually change the valves to get say the hot tub to heat.

It also increases the risk that if someone else does it, they screw it up. Automation takes that element away and allows it to be done easily and remotely and I'm all for that.

My pool is in the process of being built but I'm having autofill and automation installed for those reasons.

• golfgeek
    10 years ago

After 40 years of building pools it still amazes me that PB's still offer auto-fills as an option. The same goes for automation on pool/spa combinations. I've never offered either as an option. It's my job to build the most efficient pool for my customers. Certain choices regarding style are options.
    Customers who have had auto-fills or automated controls do not choose not to have them the second time around.

• natural_one
    10 years ago

Well, I havent been building for 40 years, but I am a third generation pool builder and couldnt agree more with golfgeek.

If the $2000 is make or break for me getting the job, I will let the client know they can do a combo without automation, but I would never build a new pool without a leveler.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Golfgeek and natural_one,
    Out of curiousity, can I assume that ya'll don't build pools where summer rains and the weather are a factor?
    I don't know how low the water goes before the autofill kicks in, but managing it myself means seeing that it's about 2" low (3" low and the skimmers don't work) so I look at the weather and if we have say, a 60% chance of rain (afternoon thunderstorms), then I'll hold off.
    With autofill, I'd guess that it would fill up, and then that afternoon the overflow drain would get used - a great waste of water. I know there are people who don't give a hoot about water management, but I'm a "green" person and do try to conserve, plus the city water here is expensive!
    I live with my pool full-time here in FL so I have a pretty good idea of the weather patterns and what's in store for us. If I lived in AZ where the dry air and hot sun are evaporating the pool daily, then the autofill would be nearly mandatory. So I think the real answer here is to find out exactly where the OP lives.

• golfgeek
    10 years ago

c9pilot,
    Everything varies in different parts of the country. Obviously, you have a good handle on your water management. Autofill overflows can be directed to refill underground catch basins where rain is plentiful.
    It's still a handle tool for most.

• pattdew
    8 years ago

There is this solution that takes all the guessing out!

www.ezautofill.com

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida