Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caesar305

Exiting Pool, plaster and other potential issues

caesar305
11 years ago

Hello Everyone, I am glad I found this website; it has been very helpful.

I purchased my first home about 3 months ago and am now starting to do some renovation projects. The house was built in 1957 and the pool was built in 1958. Yes..it's an old pool. I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing yet.. haha

I am interested in redoing the entire patio deck as it is a huge mess right now. The coping is standard concrete and the pool is in a kidney shape. My major concern is the many patch jobs I see in the wall of the pool (the pool was drained temporarily for a skimmer replacement). At least, that is what I think they are. The pool is made out of cement. (Excuse my ignorance when I convey these terms). When I knock on the areas of these patches, it sounds hollow. There are really about 30 patches around the entire pool. Considering the pool's age, is this normal? Should I be concerned? I am interested in redoing the plaster as I would ideally like to change the water color to dark blue. Also, we are planning to redo the deck with a stone material and therefore require the replacing of the coping. The current coping is an eye sore. There is about a 3 inch gap above the tile line and the coping. We found out its because the pool deck is a little higher than the wall of the pool, I suppose they decided to "fill in the gap" with a taller coping. It is starting to separate from the pool wall and you can see cracks all long the edge of where the coping meets the pool wall. We have already removed one coping and noticed we will have to fill in this gap to match the level of the pool deck. As I no longer want this gap to appear, we need to remove the tile and retile new ones a few inches higher. Another alternative which I have been searching is no tile at all. Simply plaster all the way to the top. I have heard mixed reviews of this solution and I am not sure about it although I do like the look (almost like a pond/lake type look).

The pool size is 18 x30, 4-6feet. I am confused as there are a few materials offered in my area, diamond brite, pebble tech, etc. I have researched the differences but my question is which material would help refurbish the wall and make it stronger. Do pools usually last this long? Can I expect anything else to arise in the future?

I'm looking into estimates in raising the level of the pool to match the pool deck (about 1 1/2"),installing new coping to match the stone tiles we will be placing and possibly redoing the tile. Will replastering fix the patches? Will replastering change the color of the pool to a dark blue? I have already asked one pool builder these questions and the answer seems to be yes although I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me a product or not. (Diamond brite seems to be the product he is offering). More or less, what would be the cost of doing all the above mentioned items? the first quote came in about $5,000 with no materials (no coping materials, I need to purchase it separately).

Any insight would be appreciated. (I live in Miami, Florida in case that matters)

Thank You!

-Caesar

Comments (5)