Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikemendoza_gw

Finalized plans for approval

mikemendoza
13 years ago

I finally got my plans back and will be sending them off to the egineers next week. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Can someone please tell me how to include pictures of my plans?

Comments (17)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Pictures are best posted to a photobucket account (free).

Once posted and permissions set, there are four html options for copy and paste code. This forum uses the 3rd option. Another useful forum is troublefreepools and they use the 4th option.

Scott

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are reditions of my plans. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

It's hard to make suggestions on something so perfect. At first I didn't think you had enough of a seating area around the pool, but what I can tell from the drawing it looks like you'll be just fine. Please keep the updates and pics coming as your project progresses.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks zuggy. I will post every step of this OB project and take many pictures along the way. Sorry, i forgot to list specs of pool:
    20x40 rectangular pool
    848 sq ft
    132' perimeter
    depth is 3.5-8.5 with a 5' baja step on shallow
    raised bond beam in rear 18"
    (3) pilasters with sheer decents raised 24"
    6x8 raised (18") rectangular spa with 18" spill
    grass up to the coping on two sides with pavillion on third side and raised beam on forth
    3" suction and 2.5" return lines
    deep heat return lines
    Equipment: all Jandy
    2 hp ePump
    Stealth 2 hp pump
    Flow Pro 2 hp pump
    60 sf de filter
    LXi 400k heater for spa
    Aqua Pure system
    RS8 PDA remote control
    (2) pool lights and (1) spa light
    2 hp blower

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

Personally, I would want the hot tub on the other side of the pool, closer to the patio/fireplace. If you're having a party/cookout/etc, the people can enjoy the hot tub and still be a part of the conversation happening on the patio.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comment Jason. We thought of that too. However, that would force us to put the shallow end with the 5' shelf on the other side. We would like to have the spa closer but thought it was more important to have the shelf and shallow end close to the covered structure.
    Or the other alternative was to just move the spa and leave the pool as is. This wan't good either because it taked up 30-40% of the shelf.

• houseful
    13 years ago

I think it's okay the way it is. The people in the spa will probably have their own conversation. People who need to watch their small children by the steps can converse with those in the ramada.

Gorgeous either way!!!

• sandradee
    13 years ago

That's one gorgeous pool!

If you have any lap swimmers, however, they might be disappointed. While you've got a reasonable length for swimming laps, the steps off the baja shelf make for awkward turns. Diagonal laps still put the swimmer having to contend with corners and a portion of the steps. Not impossible, but awkward and a disruption of swim stroke. And swimming just 20' across the width of the pool will get you dizzy with the constant turns!

If you have no lap swimmers, for exercise or recreation, this won't be an issue at all. I just know that my first pool was great for laps, 40' in length like yours and having steps and benches in corner areas, leaving the middle portions unencumbered for lap turns of any style. But the current pool that came with our "new" home has steps all across the shallow width which makes the pool not at all conducive to laps.

Good luck with the build.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It took me 4 weeks to get my plans approved through the city and all of my subs lined up through shotcrete. Excavation starts tomorrow. Hopefully no big rocks! I will take many photos and post.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They should finish excavation tomorrow. Lots of rocks. The hole looks HUGE!!!
    Getting ready to dig.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

I would think grass up to the coping would be a PIA with grass clippings falling in the pool. I would opt to have a 5ft border in concrete or pavers. Just my opinion. Keep the pics coming

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can you please tell me how the excavation looks. I have to pay them on Monday.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steel took 2 days and plumbing took 3 days. Electricians will start and hopeully finish tomorrow. Inspection on Tuesday and gunite on Wednesday if all goes well.

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pool has been done for several months. I just need to find time to finish everything else.

• nosabe
    13 years ago

Beautiful! What is your coping and what will you use for the pavers shown in the original renditions?

• banana_fanna
    13 years ago

Very beautiful pool. Even without the rest of your poolscape complete, it still looks awesome.

I, also, wanna know what your coping is and what you used for plaster/pebble. Thanks and Congratulations.

Now get back to work. :-)

• mikemendoza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The coping was a poured in place concrete with the standard foam ogee being used. The Pebble is midnight blue mix of small and larger stones for a better finish. It was not Pebble Tec but one of the knock offs used here in Southern California. I will use 1 1/4" travertine pavers for all of the hardscape including the stepping stones. Thanks for your comments.