Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River Rok? Salt Water? Basic info?

Posted by leriek (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 21:26

Ok we just purchased a home with a pool that needs new plaster, tile and coping. Let me start by saying I know nothing about pools, I have never had one. I have been in pools with salt systems and love the water. What is the difference in maitanence in a salt system? Does salt make sense? Also originally we were just going to go with white plaster again (that's what's there), but we are now throwing around other surfaces. Our pool builder (guy we like and want to do the work) uses river rok, diamond brite, or plaster. Is River Rok comparable to Pebble Tech? We need low maintenance, and we live in MA so we have to close the pool for the winter (want low maintenance in the winter). We also want to not have to re-plaster in the next 5-10 years. The pool is huge, 20 x 50, so does the river rok expense make sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River Rok? Salt Water? Basic info?

All three will give you the longevity you seek with RR and DB giving you a few years more than a straight marcite finish.

The only way RR makes sense is if you like the look and feel. If I had a gunite pool (mine is a liner pool) I would use DB over the other two for that exact reason. If I wanted a pebble type finish, it would be a PT or Wet Edge. These high aggregate finishes, with normal care, will outlast all others by a wide margin.

The normal care for all of the above finishes is the same once the finish is cured past the first month. Keeping on top of pool's chems with a good test kit will help ensure you get the most out of it's life.

Because the season is short for you, when you pull the trigger, time it for mid Spring, before the pollen season gets going or late May when the onslaught is done. This will give your finish the best opportunity to cure more fully without worrying about pollen stains setting on a fresh finish, the period where a finish is at its most vulnerable.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here