Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infinity Pool / When pump on, fresh water added

Posted by KonaConnie (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 21:26

Hi!

I recently bought a house in Kona with an infinity edge pool. Every time the pump runs, the trough drains and new water (city utility company) is added. I noted the water meter numbers before the pump turned on (which ran for about 4 hours) and then immediately after. No other water was consumed at my house (no showers, no sprinklers, no dishwasher, etc). 1,280 gallons of water was pumped into the pool. I must have a leak, but don't see any water on the ground, behind the infinity wall or near the pump or decking. I know the trough is supposed to drain, flow to the filter, the enter the pool and then the pool water flows over the edge back into the trough. Not sure why I'm using so much water. My water bills have been awfully high. Any advice is appreciated. My pool guy thinks there is a leak, but not much help other than stating that and wanting to call an expert in Hilo that checks for leaks. I have been gathering data points for the last 3 days and have many measurements I have put into an Excell spreadsheet. Net, every time the pump runs, the fresh water valve turns on and runs to fill the trough until the pump turns off. Thanks, Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infinity Pool / When pump on, fresh water added

While that seems to be a lot of water, you didn't mention the pool specs. or usage patterns.

The square footage of the pool's surface, the length of the wall, the drop, the size of the trough, if there is an auto-filler, and the temps of the water.

It is possible to evaporate that much or enough of a percentage that if it is due to a leak, it's not as big as you think.

Does the pump that operates the negative edge, ever draw air from the trough?

Does the catch basin ever look over full?

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here