Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cartridge Filter cleaner - homemade?

Posted by jreich888 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 21:18

Hi all, I've got a pool with a cartridge filter, and sometimes use a spray on cartridge cleaner from Leslie's.

It works well, but it's not cheap. Seems like one of the things that is probably pretty high margin. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is, and if it might be something dead simple like dilute ammonia (that's what it smells like). Anyone have any clues, or have a home made recipe that work as well?

thanks
Jason in San Diego.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leslie's cartridge cleaner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cartridge Filter cleaner - homemade?

I use powdered dishwasher soap on PB recommendation. I put about a quarter of a box in a 5 gal pail, disolve it with some boiling water. Once it dissolves I fill the pail with water and put the filter in. The filter is twice as tall as the pail, so I let it sit around 10 minutes then turn it over for another 10 then hose it all off. Works great, I do it once a month at least. I also use the powdered soap to dump on the pool deck and brush it (wet) then hose it off every spring. Gotta watch tho, it has chlorine and will kill plants. Hope this helps, Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here