Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibobi

Check out my own design to present to PB...

ibobi
16 years ago

I would like some feedback on this pool design I did. I thought it would be a good starting point to talk to the builder.

We want a "L" shaped pool that we can play volleyball in and get a deep end as well. Its kind of a small area, so we don't know if we are pushing it.

Is there a general slope formula for a pool. Are we pushing it with the slope to the deep end?

Any comments are appreciated.

Comments (11)

• anthemguy
    16 years ago

Well, this may be what you are going for but... I see it's next to your driveway. Will the pool be in the front yard?!

• snookums
    16 years ago

anthemguy - the driveway leads to an alley, so I'm going to guess that this is the back of the house, with the front door on the other side.

ibobi - looks good!

• ibobi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anthem...snookums is correct. This is rear entry. It is kind of hard to see, but there is a fence that runs around the back yard. There will be an automatic gate running across the driveway entrance into the alley. My big question is where I go from 48" to 72" in the pool too much slope??? We would like to play v-ball in the 36" to 48" area and also have a deep end to 72" and have ample deck area.

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

Have kids? Might want to take out some extra insurance for when their friends dive from the patio cover!

Looks great, I like the idea of the baja shelf in the deep end.

• anthemguy
    16 years ago

D'oh, now I see the alley!

The design looks good! I don't know about your budget, but if it were me I would love to see some kind of water feature. Imagine having a meal on the patio while enjoying the sound of a babbling waterfall :)

• hindaw30
    16 years ago

Not sure if this is what your looking for but I think you can go 1' drop in 6' run. If you start at 3' you'll need 12' of length to get to 5' depth.? Looking at the design you may want to start at 42"- 36" is really shallow.

• sharlanet
    16 years ago

I think it looks good- just make sure the pool light/lights face away from the house. (I didn't see them on the drawing).

• poolwebber
    16 years ago

I think that many states have guidelines regarding the maximum slope for public pools. I don't think these guidelines apply to residential pools, but as far as I know the formula is: In water less than 5 feet deep, floor slope should not exceed 1 foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal. In portions of the pool where the depth is greater than five feet, the slope can be 1 foot vertical in 3 feet horizontal.

• ibobi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the info......

skinnydipper - I cannot believe I didn't see that about the patio cover. We will have to think about how to handle that. We have an 11 year old that loves to climb.

anthemguy - we are thinking about running some rock along the back of the pool with the water that flows thru it. Don't know what you call that, but we like that look. Maybe 10 to 15 feet of that???

hindhaw - we are definitely think about starting at 42". We want to keep a 3 step entry, so we have to be careful.

• anthemguy
    16 years ago

Nice, nice, ibobi! That's called a sheer descent waterfall...

http://www.jandy.com/html/products/waterfeatures/sheerdescent.php

• beachdiva
    16 years ago

Ibobi - nice design. I second the comment on the sheer descent or other water feature. Another thought - our pool is about the same size. I wish we had gone from 4' to 7', instead of 3.5' to 6'. I always thought I wanted more of a sport pool, but we spend most of the time down in the deeper side of the pool. Plus, if you have an active 11 yr old, you'll want more depth. I have an active 15 yr old who loves to jump in (now he's got this pool skateboard and he does tricks jumping in on that) - I truly regret not having more of a deep end. Never thought those words would come out of my mouth!!!! They're gonna jump, regardless. It's better to make it safer with some depth than having to reign in the jumps so much. You might also have to make some adjustment to how close the pool is to the covered patio, depending on building codes in your area. Maybe not if you're doing it after the pool and not getting a permit. Be sure to post pics of the progress.