Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caldwellgirl

Pool Fence

caldwellgirl
11 years ago

I am building a pool and will do the secured cover, but I want a fence too. Is that overkill? I worry about friends' toddlers wandering to the pool when big kids are swimming. The toddler swing set is 40 ft. away and I think it will be hard to keep track of kids transitioning activities without a fence/gate to let them in/out of pool. Overkill with fence & cover?

Comments (11)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Not overkill at all. Fencing requirements will vary though and many add a self closing and latching with the release at least 52 inches of off the ground.

By cover, what do you have, an autocover?

Scott

• caldwellgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, automatic pool cover. With the design of the decking and placement of the pool a fence is more difficult because the fence has to be placed in cement (my husband wants to removable mesh fence). I know they can do cement sleeves in the grass, but the PB likes it in the cement better.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Part of the problem with mesh barrier fencing set in the grass is that the ground often isn't level. This can leave a small space at the bottom suitable for lifting. An addition problem is found when cutting the grass. String trimmers can cut the mesh.

A four foot chain link fence is usually the better fence for this application. Make sure the fence uses holes small enough to keep small hands out. This is what I imagined you meant originally.

Scott

• theballs
    11 years ago

For your particular scenario, I think a fence would be a hassle. I would imagine adults are supervising, particularly if your friends are visiting?

I would be concerned about people wandering into your yard when you are not there. My vote would be to fence in a portion of your yard, whatever makes the most sense. I would also base this decision on if you have kids and what their ages are.

Putting a fence in concrete is easy, you just use a core drill. If you go with a nice aluminum fence, it will be attractive and could add to the aesthetics of your pool area, rather than detract. IMO, any type of flexible mesh or the above mentioned chain link will not look as attractive. Black vinyl chain link is prettier than galvanized. Do you have any pics of your yard?

• caldwellgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pool will go between the garden (on left - some garden will be removed) and the cement pad (leave area between decking and pad for drain site). There is already a vinyl fence around the yard. PB thinks a wrought iron fence would be best looking and do a "L" from far left, by garden to edge of house and along the cement pad - 2 gates. One gate to enter garden and pool and another main entrance for pool. This is extra $2500 at least.

• caldwellgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

picture 2

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

You should personally ask the code official and your insurance agent about what is required with a pool. His/her answer may offer surprises the PB doesn't want to talk about.

Scott

• caldwellgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott, the requirement is full fence or automatic pool cover. It was the PB that told me - when I asked his opinion - that the fence was overkill and I would be fine with just a cover. I just worry about it and think a fence would ease my concern. Or again - is it a false sense of security?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Hard to forget a fence. Easy to forget a cover. Especially for a teenager.

Fencing is usually done by another contractor.

Auto covers are done by the PB.

Sounds like a money motive to me.

Scott

• theballs
    11 years ago

It is hard to count how often we run out on a weekend afternoon to hit up the grocery or run some errands. We only have a miniature pool, but feel good knowing that the fence is ALWAYS there and ALWAYS securely latched with the child safety latch. I can only imagine the pain it would be to have to put the pool cover one (even automatic) every single time you wanted to go inside, or leave and run an errand, or whatever.

By the way, wrought iron is ridiculously expensive. Aluminum fencing gets my vote. Jerith, Specrail, Ameristar, among others. Roughly $20 per linear ft for a 4 foot fence, probably closer to $25 per linear foot for a 5' fence. Gates are a few hundred bucks, a child safety latch is $50.

• caldwellgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you. I hope to do the aluminum. I appreciate the help.