Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuggy333

UH-OH - Heater Problems

zuggy333
10 years ago

Hi everyone...it's been awhile since I posted, as our pool build took place back in 2009, and the only subject I've re-visited is Scott - still so sorry about his death. But, we now have a problem. I called my hubby at work earlier today because it appeared as though our pool heater was leaking. When he came home he took a look at it and realized that there happens to be a tiny hole in a copper pipe near the top of the pool heater. We're wondering if the heater needs to be replaced, or can the copper pipes be replaced? He's certain something (a chemical?) caused this problem, but what's the solution? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

It could be a leak due to excessive copper loss due to a chemical imbalance or sometimes even due to high or turbulent flow. Or a combination.

Some pinholes can be easily DIY repaired, some can't. If you look at a parts diagram for your heater you can figure out where exactly the leak is...and get a part number for replacement if that's the route you need to go.

The solution? Test your water. If needed, balance it.

If your water is fine consider how you add chemicals to the water. If you have any sort of injection system the injection site should be in the plumbing down-flow of, or after your pool equipment, so you don't get chemically saturated water flowing through your equipment.

Be careful how you add chemicals, example if you use chlorine tabs, they shouldn't go in the skimmer box. When the pump is off the tabs can result in very high levels of chlorine that can work their way towards the copper when the pump finally kicks on.

• zuggy333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your input - much appreciated. We will definitely be checking the water to ensure this doesn't happen again.