Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonaguy

Need adivse on Pentair Equipment and Setup

arizonaguy
15 years ago

I have enjoyed the great information on these forums. I especially appreciate some of those from Repair Guy and others (names are not my strong suit). Hopefully, someone can help or point me in the right direction.

My PB just finished building my pool and attempted startup of the pool with my equipment without success.

Here is some of my setup:

- Oval like pool approx 16' by 34' long 3.5x4.5x5.5x7.5 evenly spaced (not sure on gallons)

- Pentair Intelliflow VF (3.2KW)

- Pentair Quad DE 100 filter

- Pentair IC40

- EasyTouch 4PSC with Remote

- 3 Sheer Descents (1x4' 2x1')

- 2 inch piping

- Skimmer

- Separate Vacumm line for vacuum

- Hayward Ultra

- Standard 400w light (no SAM)

Setup request

- Able to turn light on/off with remote (this works)

- Turn on water feature from remote (I don't think this is possible since it is a value to switch between vacuum/skim and sheers, but if value was turned to shears then could turn on the pump)

Here is my questions (appreciate the help if anyone can)

1. Can the EasyTouch turn on/off the VF (with a specified flow rating and for a specified time)?

2. Is the stuff I have overkill or did I spend money in the right place?

3. I order a Polaris ATV and got a Hayward Ultra and I am not impressed so far. Is one better than the other?

Sorry for all the rookie questions, I searched the forum and found bits and pieces but don't want to ASSuME.

Thanks,

ArizonaGuy (guy from arizona)

Comments (4)

• arizonaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some additional information that may help ...
    - I have a baja/tanning step which is 6'x9' about 1.5' deep which is extra to the diminsions given
    - The sheers are about 2' high from the water surface in the middle of the pool (over the 4.5' to 5.5' section)
    - NO SPA
    - NO Rock Waterfall
    - NO Heater
    - Approximately 5 jets to help circulate to the skimmer
    - 1 Skimmer but have 2 drains in deep end of pool
    - Live in AZ and is dusty, no rain
    - Electricity is cheap compared to CA but want to keep costs down
    - I have a "time of use" plan which monitors when electricity is used and charged differently
    - Interior is a smooth "upgraded plaster/quartz aggregate" called Ultrapoz

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Bad choice of pump for an Easytouch but here it goes....

If you plug that pump into the EasyTouch, it will become a 4x160. So, that's what my answers will be.

YOU CAN ASSIGN A VALVE ACTUATOR TO THE SHEER VALVE AND SET A SPEED TO RUN IT IF YOU CREATE A CIRCUIT CALLED WATERFALL OR WHATEVER.

YOU CAN ALSO PUT IN AN ACTUATOR FOR THE SWEEP AND ASSIGN A SPEED FOR IT TOO ON ANOTHER VALVE CIRCUIT.

Here is my questions (appreciate the help if anyone can)
    1. Can the EasyTouch turn on/off the VF (with a specified flow rating and for a specified time)?

YES, YOU ASSIGN A PROGRAM TO "POOL" FOR THE SPECIFIC SPEED YOU WANT.

2. Is the stuff I have overkill or did I spend money in the right place?

THE PUMP IS FOR AN ET.

3. I order a Polaris ATV and got a Hayward Ultra and I am not impressed so far. Is one better than the other?

YOU DID NOT RETURN IT? PEOPLE HERE SWEAR BY THE ATV BUT IT IS RATHER JUNKY AFTER TIME.

• arizonaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Repair_Guy,

In response to

2. THE PUMP IS FOR AN ET.

I am not up with all the appreviations, do you mean it is meant for the Intellitouch IT? You also said it was bad choice for an Easytouch is that because you can only have 4 speeds programmed ergo 4x160? If so, then I don't see why that is a problem in my situation since I only need 3 (skim, vacuum, sheers) - or am I missing something?

3. I ordered a Polaris ATV and the PB gave me Hayward Ultra. I have a call into my PB to give me the Polaris ATV as I feel it is better than the Hayward Ultra. I am hoping to demand the Polaris ATV but if the PB pushes back I won't fight him if they are both about the same.

Some other additional information - the easytouch is hooked up via the RS-485 input to the easy touch but the PB installer can't get it to work and is waiting on Pentair to help out. I bet he didn't set the address or setup the circuit names yet. It looks like the installer was going to just plug it in and it auto recognize it (this is 4th-ish VF they have installed and I bet the others were attached to Intellitouch panels).

And BTW thanks for all the help you give on these forums (I know you hear this alot) but it takes a lot of patience and a kind soul to spend the time you do answering all these questions.

I don't have the pool & spa knowledge you have but if you ever have any Q's regarding computers/software/hardware I will help you out if I can (I work for one of the largest software companies in the world).

Thanks again ...

• arizonaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the long posts ...

If there is a better setup let me know as I may have some pull with my PB on some things.

I.e. I could have them upgrade the EasyTouch with Remote to an Intellitouch i5psc with some type of remote and pay for the difference.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor