Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grumpymrj

What is an 'acceptable' amount of mottling in a diamondbrite pool

grumpymrj
15 years ago

I had my pool diamondbrited 10 days ago...regular blue (not cool or super)...I can see white streaks (light) on the walls...and a couple of bad spots (I see some color in them but alot of white plaster) on the floor of the pool...I know that there is suppoused to be some mottling in the product...but what is an acceptable amount ? Has anyone else had this problem? Any photos I can see? The pool store I contracted through says the pool looks fine and it will go away over time...I am not sure about that...I have done a no drain acid wash the last two days (a week after they plastered) in addition to the acid wash they did when the job was done...but I dont see any changes.

I am a teacher in Florida...so I dont have a ton of cash...I wonder if I am too picky or should I make them acid wash this again ?

Also has anyone had any luck with diamondbrite being sanded down...they left a slight ridge on the back of the steps and seat (pool and spa)...If I am emptying the pool again I would want that fixed...I can live with this if it is something that can go really wrong...any suggestions ?

Comments (10)

• golfgeek
    15 years ago

grumpymrj,
    Two days was probably not enough. Diamond Brite is a very hard surface and you may need to lower the ph for a week or ten days to eliminate the streaks and most mottling.
    Traditional acid washes often leave streaks in the dark Diamond Brite colors.
    Call your PB, start-up company, or plaster contractor for proper start-up procedure. Good luck.

• teppy
    15 years ago

can you post a photo?

• grumpymrj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the worst spot...
    it looks alot worse in the early morning (first thing
    I see when I go out to walk the dog)...pretty much disappears under the sun.

[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/212suu9.jpg[/IMG]

They are willing to come out and re acid wash the pool...just dont want to overdue it and make things worse...owner says it wont damage anything...anyone have a thought on this ???

• tcupp
    15 years ago

Same thing happened to us. We chose Cool Blue because PB had complaints with Tahoe Blue not being even. Cool Blue has streaks. Just like you said it looks better in the sunlight. Our PB did an acid wash when applied and acid bath a few weeks ago. Our pool was started last Aug. Not sure what to do next. A SGM rep. came out with our PB. He was the one who said do acid bath. I can't see any difference.

• poolexpert
    15 years ago

All cement products have mottling and when you add color it gets amplified. You have differing schools on startups and applications the aggressive approach seems to give the best appearance, but its still concrete not paint.
    I always stress that concrete mottles is the sales process.
    Even Pebbletec has mottling but its harder to see these are natural materials.

• geobrick
    15 years ago

We had Cool Blue Diamond Brite installed about 12 days ago. So far it seems fine (See Pictures below).

I'm not sure what "Mottling" is but I've seen what looks like streaks or marbleizing on other pools with darker plasters (the ones where the actual plaster has a base color in addition to the aggregate colors). We chose cool blue because it was based on a white plaster. It has mostly white aggregate with some blue, gray and clear quartz.

For those debating the proper installation and exposure methods, the details are in SGMs installation manual: sgm.cc/download/installationmanual-DiamondBrite.pdf

Read the section on exposure starting on page 6. There are 3 methods of exposure and depending on which method is used, it could result in some streaking.

I can't remember if process "A" (water washing with a brush) was done with our pool but I know the installer used process "B". The pool start-up continued with process "C". During the installation I can remember the plaster guys started wearing foam shoes but I don't remember if they were water washing with brushes (process A) at the time.

Here are some pictures of the Cool Blue Diamond Brite Installation:

This last one is in the shallow Baja shelf area.

• Luv My Conifers
    15 years ago

Geobrick, That is an awesome color! I love your coping also! Would you happen to have a close-up pic you can post of the Cool Blue (so that it shows the colors in the white plaster up close)?

• geobrick
    15 years ago

Coniferfreak,
    Here is a close-up photo of the coping. The picture was exported from a Video Clip so it's resolution may not be so good. I'm not sure if this was taken before or after the Acid wash.

This is a close-up of the top step in the spa. The area to the lower left is where the step edge starts to curve.

• barco
    15 years ago

I don't see a mottling color problem...I do see a problem with too much rinsing as the water ran off the common point...pretty common if that is what you are referring to.

They can probably fix this without emptying your pool.