Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_shirley

Replacement cells for Aqua Rite T-Cell-15-SWP saltwater generator

nick_shirley
9 years ago

The salt levels in my 19k gallon pool are fine, above 3k according to Leslie's, but my Aqua Rite SWG system never shows that high of a number, regardless of whether average or instant readings are used. Moreover, even after I get the cell plates squeaky clean with a mild acid bath, the average reading will start out at 2700 and within a few days fall to 2400. A few days later, the reading will go below that point, the flashing "inspect cell" and "low salt" lights will go solid, and the system will stop generating. Not good, especially in Palm Springs CA where I live, given that our typical temps this time of year exceed 105.

The TA in my 30 year old pool has always (since I bought the place 5 years ago) been high, so I am no stranger to build up on the cell plates. But even a very mild level of gunk will now cause the salt reading to plunge down to shut off levels. Except for about 24 hours after the last cleaning, the amp reading when system is actively generating hangs around the low end of the correct 4.50 to 7.80 range (sometimes dipping below) while the voltage reading is usually higher than the correct 22.0 to 25.0 range.

The cell is just over three years old. I took the cell to Leslie's repeatedly prior to the expiration of the warranty period and they kept assuring me that nothing was wrong with the cell, so they wouldn't replace it. Now that the cell is about a month out of warranty, I figure that it's up to me to take care of it.

I suspect that there is something that is wrong with the material on the plates, something that causes marginal performance with what might be considered "normal" build up. Perhaps the coating is no longer smooth or it's been damaged from too many cleanings, allowing calcium to collect quicker than usual and preventing a large percentage of the plate to fully contact the water, which in turn causes the low salt readings due to increased resistance.

So I've decided to buy a replacement. A web search suggests that I could get a SimpleCell salt cell for about $310. They claim that the plates are titanium coated for increased life. I could also get a Hayward OEM replacement for about $385, which I assume is designed and built the same as the current one.

Any recommendations for replacement cells? Any companies to watch out for? And are there cells that are designed to last longer than 3 years? Right now I'm spending about $10 a month on a cell ($360 / 36 months of use) which seems crazy.

Thanks!

Nick in Palm Springs

Comments (2)

• deborah_ps
    9 years ago

Hi Nick,
    We also live in Palm Springs, just finished a small pool build so just getting to know the ins and outs.
    I don't have anything helpful to add just wanted to say hello to a neighbor :)

Deborah

• nick_shirley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to follow up on this in case someone with a similar problem searches the forum for help....

My old cell was clogging up quickly between cleanings. I know I have high TA, but I've always had high TA, and the speed of build-up was increasing over time. Moreover, even with a spotless salt cell and known good levels of salt in the pool, I could not get my average reading above 2400 for any length of time (instants were always around 2100 or 2200, with voltage levels at 25.2 or higher, though the amp readings were usually fine). Within a couple days of a recent cleaning, my average would drop to 2100 and the system would shut down. I could trick the system into starting off with a very high average (the click off, click on, wait for sound of generation starting, cycle display to instant read, and immediately flip up to super chlorinate and back to on to lock in something in the high 3000s) but that was a only temporary fix. I knew my cell was done. Whether it was due to normal wear of the plate's surface elements, bad manufacturing, or from me giving the cell too many acid baths I'll never know.

So I searched the net and found two options. One was a CompuPool replacement cell for $350 (shipping and taxes included) from Pool Supply Unlimited with a 3 year warranty. The other was a Hayward T-Cell-15 OEM model for about $440 (S&T included) from Pool Supply 4 Less with a 3 year warranty as well. The $90 difference was very attractive, but everything I could find about CompuPool suggested that warranty returns were a nightmare, even if they accepted the fact that the unit failed (stories of months waiting for the replacement are common).

I figured that it was almost certain that I'd need to take the unit back to the manufacturer in the next three years, and if I did so, Hayward would probably be the better option. I live in Southern California and there are official Hayward service centers scattered around this part of the state, which would make things easier even though I bought the unit on-line from a discount supplier.

I swapped in the new T-Cell-15 and as I suspected, the pool readings were just fine. I now have averages of 3200 to 3400, instant reads in about the same range, and voltage\amp values within recommended numbers.

One of the things that ticks me off is that I repeatedly went to Leslie's in the last two months to have them test the old cell, and in every instance they said it was just fine. When I'd plug it back in upon returning home, I'd be back down to 2300 average in an hour, just hovering over the shutdown level. They, and Hayward's customer service department, kept telling me that it wasn't my cell, it was my controller, and that I should buy a complete new system (of course!), but the satisfactory readings from the replacement cell suggest that they may have interests other than my best ones in mind when developing their recommendations.

Good luck to you if you are reading this! ...