Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilemandale

Your solar cover and Intelliflow

hilemandale
11 years ago

For some reason our new Intelliflow runs�fortunately at low speed� during the 16 hours is supposed to be off. Of course the electrical drain is minimal, this modern pump system designed specifically for economy. However, according to the general rule that an apparent malfunction often reveals a hidden merit, there�s some evidence that letting it run can prolong the life of your plastic solar cover

That is, if you chlorinate with tabs and especially if they�re situated in your skim-port basket. Evidently the continuous circulation keeps the chlorine level more uniform, especially at the shallow end

Can anyone confirm my observations

Comments (6)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

3" Tabs should NEVER be in the skimmer baskets except for urgent and just cause and only for a short period of time.

When the pump is off, they keep dissolving. The chlorine and stabilizer sink in the pipe and skimmer and build up to high levels. This can cause flex PVC to swell internally, forming restrictions and weakening the walls, causing collapses in the line.

Over time, this high concentration, upon start up, can effect the equipment negatively, especially heaters. If the system burps, high concentrations can spill just outside the skimmer, causing liners to stretch and form unsightly wrinkles and age them faster. The plastics will yellow and loose plasticity, becoming brittle. At first, skimmer baskets will suffer but eventually, the rest of the skimmer will suffer too.

The solutions available are salt cells, manually dosing, or erosion feeders.

WRT to the settings of your Intelliflow, what are they? What are your expectations?

Scott

• hilemandale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"3" Tabs should NEVER be in the skimmer baskets except for urgent and just cause and only for a short period of time." Scott thanks for your comment, and yes I�ve been so advised by others

"When the pump is off, they keep dissolving. The chlorine and stabilizer sink in the pipe and skimmer and build up to high levels." True, and also Cl concentration especially around shallow end. For years my solar cover would begin shredding after only two seasons

"This can cause flex PVC to swell internally, forming restrictions and weakening the walls, causing collapses in the line." My predecessor used tabs in the skimmer for 5 years and I�ve continued the practice now for some 16 years. Evidently the plumbing is highly resistant. However the solar cover isn�t. If letting the pump run that additional 16 hours will make it last even one more season the additional cost of electricity might prove justified

"The solutions available are salt cells, manually dosing, or erosion feeders." Thanks I�ll look into this

"WRT to the settings of your Intelliflow, what are they?" Pump on slowest speed Except for a 5-min high-speed prime once a day and one hour at medium speed when my Polaris sweep is on

The Polaris incidentally uses a separate pump

"What are your expectations?" Only hope to prolong life of solar cover. Thanks again for the rundown

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

While Polaris boosters, they need to be fed. They generate very little suction but a lot of pressure, by design.

If you have all hard pipe, it is resistant. If they built the lines with flex or tiger pipe, it's not so resistant as you might think. I've dug up more than my share and found enough trophies.

Scott

• hilemandale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"While Polaris boosters, they need to be fed." Not sure Scott what you mean. When we tried running our sweep at its usual setting with the Intelliflow set at low, it didn�t get enough water; that is, it evidently sucked some air. So we increased the pump speed to, I guess, about half speed

"They generate very little suction but a lot of pressure, by design." I presume by "suction" you�re referring to to the uptake of the two jets at the bottom of the sweep. And yes, not very powerful. It picks up the lighter stuff like twigs but of course not the coarse sand. By "lot of pressure" you�re referring to the flow from its pump, and yes, that pressure is terrific, has to be relieved by a regulator at the input to the pool as you�re no doubt aware

In spite of that regulator however, the pressure has repeatedly disabled a backup valve. The last couple of times it did so by splitting the collar. Finally I just quit using one

"If you have all hard pipe, it is resistant." Evidently then that�s what has saved me

"I've dug up more than my share and found enough trophies." Presume you�ve been at this for a long time

• hilemandale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgive an old fart at 81 on the verge of Alz�s for the umlaut "i" followed by "1/2" that was supposed to be an apostrophe. I�d try correcting it but can�t find an "edit" link. I�m just not compatible with the 21st century

• hilemandale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does no one else owning the Intelliflow use solar cover