Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our New Pool Build in Jacksonville, FL

Posted by brentr (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 18:53

I have been on this forum for couple of months now reading and posting and wanted to thank everyone for all the great information and advice.
Here are some specs
New Pool Discription

10 x 20 approx 225 sq ft
3.5 ft to 4.5 ft, approx 6500 gals.
2 swim out benches 5 ft on one side and 10 ft on the other
2 ft waterfall
Bubbler
2 outside returns for dolphin statues
6 x6 tile, Hawaii, blue color
Pebble tec finish
Salt water system
1100 sq ft Tremron Estate pavers, colors are coral, charcoal and south beach
Coping color is coral
92 ft of 12" x 12" footers for pool cage.
1.5 hp pump
DE filter
Possible Heat pump
The pool will be next to a 16 x 20 enclosed screened in patio.
I will try to post some pics. We signed the contract on July 4th and the PB told us we will be swimming in 29days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our New Pool Build in Jacksonville, FL

Oops I forgot to attach pics. I will try this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before pool

o

Okay we are now excited. The pool has concrete in it and it look great. The PB says that we could be swimming by next weekend. He says that he will pour the footers and tile on Monday, do pavers on Tuesday and the pool cage will be installed Thursday and Friday. This is a very tight schedule. I will attempt to show you pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: final pool shape

o

Okay I now figured out how to post pics. Here it goes.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
pool dug
pool rebar
Photobucket
final pool shape
final pool shape

o

They worked this past weekend and installed coping and tile. The wife really likes the colors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I really like the tile you chose! Looking forward to seeing more pics as you progress. Are you keeping the existing sunroom?

o

The wife picked the tile. We are keeping the existing room as it is screened in and has windows. Good to have it when it is raining and also when the weather is cold. It does get cool in Jan to March and we sit in it and watch TV and entertain there 90% of the time.

o
RE: Our New SPool Build in Jacksonville, FL

Okay more work done today. The limestone foundation is next.
limestone base

more pics of the limestone base for the pavers

limestone base

Photobucket

This is in our sunroom. 1inch maching pavers will be installed.

Photobucket

Our garage is a mess as we had to move all the stuff out of the sunroom.

our garage is a mess

Our driveway is also a mess. lol

our driveway is a mess also

Look at all these pipes, 8 total running to the pump station.

Photobucket

Photobucket

8 lines to the pump station

Photobucket

o
re: our new spool build in jacksonville, fl

Oh no here comes the pavers being delivered at 6pm. this is a very large truckload. I counted 13-14 palates. I think we must be building a house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think we will have to resod and rearrage the sprinkler system.

o

I'm sure the end result will make you forget all the mess!

o

Okay this is day 14 and 15 since the big escavator landed in our back yard. Electrician came and ran a sub panel box. I had a 60amp service run so that I can have room to add other electrical circuits later on like a heat pump and outlets and lights etc.

Photobucket

Here are some of the pavers and pics.

Photobucket

This is pic from the mountain of dirt.
Photobucket

These are pics or the pavers in the florida room.

pavers in florida room

pavers in florida room

pavers in florida room

pavers in florida room

The wife inspecting the pavers.

wife inspecting pavers

wife inspecting pavers

The water fall.

water fall

Photobucket

Photobucket

The PB kind of overestimated on the amount of pavers so we will be having them put done outside the screened in cage. Only about 400sq ft additional pad.

Photobucket

o

WOW your pool is coming along fast! Love the pavers. What color PT is going in? I love this "social pool" idea! :)

o

Brent, to answer your question about sealing the pavers from your other thread.....
We are so far removed from your climate, we are dry desert southwest. You asked about sealing the pavers in the Florida room,I can see you extended them outdoors. Here we do not seal pavers outside for at least 6 months after install because of efforescence, where calcium leaches out of the pavers, a lot has to do with our ground chemistry though. So I guess the best answer is to ask your installer for your area. It looks like the room is protected from rain. If you want to seal from stains only, use a penetrating sealer which will not change the look of a dry paver, it will not look wet. A wet look sealer will do exactly that, make them look wet, but they tend to get a bit slippery when wet. Honestly if you don't want to change the look of them I wouldn't seal in that room at all. Stains don't penetrate that quickly, it looks like you have thin pavers in there, they are usually compressed to such a high psi they don't stain easily. I would recommend a polymeric sand in there, it hardens and won't come out of the joints like regular paver sand. To answer as to what sealer, we like Technoseal products if you can get them. Hope this helps, Barb

o

jenno tx, thank you. We are putting in Beach series St Tropez by Marbletite ,Pebble finish, lifetime warranty. The marcite is light blue and the pebbles are light and dark blues with sand and charcoal colors. We went to see another pool with the exact finish which the PB had completed a month ago. The water line tile is 6 x6 tile, Hawaii, blue color.

Airborne101 , Barb, you are correct. WE have 1 inch pavers in the florida room and also on the concrete patio outside it. They are Tremron Estate pavers, colors are coral, charcoal and south beach. I liked the bishop hat style however they did not come in 1 inch. The paver people already put reg play sand down in the florida room and there are still gaps inbetween the pavers. Can I put the polymeric sand over this? I will mention to the PB to get this sand for the florida room. They have to come back as we have several chipped ones that need to be replaced and several that need levelling and also to install additional 400 sq ft outside the pool cage.

thank you for you direction and support

o

pool is coming along very fast .
looking very nice,you will be swimming in no time

are u getting a cage?

o

domingo35 yes we are getting a pool cage. They start on Monday and it will take 2.5 days. The materials were delivered last week Friday and is laying on the other side of the house. They will move the mountain of dirt on Monday and finish installing the additional 400- 500 sq ft of pavers. PB says that they plan on putting the pebble finish on Wednesday and put water in the pool that same day. I will post pics on monday as there was no work done this past weekend.

o

Okay this is day 20 since we started and we have a completed waterfall and the screen people are here to install our pool cage. They tell me 2 days so we are hoping to put water on Thursday. The paver people will be coming tomorrow to install the additional 400- 500 sq ft which will be outside our pool cage.

This is the completed waterfall.

Waterfall

Waterfall

waterfall

waterfall

This is pics of the super gutter and screen workers
super gutter

Photobucket

Photobucket

screen

o

Okay this is now day 21 and most of the pool cage is installed. WOW our house look like a million dollar house, at least we think so, LOL. They will finish tomorrow and the paver installers will be hers tomorrow to do the additional outside patio. We hope to have the pebble finish in on Friday and then water in the pool. PB says that we will be swimming on Saturday with Bloody Mary drinks and Mimosas. I can't wait for the rest of the stuff to be done.

screen walls

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

pool cage

o

Okay here are some pics of the final. We are excited. It took 23 days from the time the escavator arrived till water in the pool. It took 5,775 gals to fill and 8 hrs. It is small but we had a pool party and at one time I counted about 10 people in the pool all socializing and having fun with plenty of room for more people. I still have a lot of other work to do like additional electrical outlets and spickets etc. Lots of sand cleanup from the pavers. We will be swimming in Chlorine for the next 30 days and I will be brushing the pool everyday. The water temp is 89 degrees, not bad considering that it is screened in. The pebbles are coming out more as I scrub and the water is clearing up. The first day the water was greenish and I had to back wash a few times but the next day it was blue and crystal clear with pebbles showing. I will post as many pics showing this. Thank you for looking and hope you enjoy.

Mermaid and dolphin statue

Mermaid and dolphin statue

Waterfall

Water fall

Fountain

Fountain

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The wife planned a birthday brunch for 20 people on Sunday. These pics will give you an idea of the size with guests in and arounf the pool area. Meet us by the pool........

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The girls like the long bench area, great for guest to still socialize without getting in the pool.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some of the guys like their quiet time in the pool and some preferred to be sitting in the florida room watching the races.........

Photobucket

Photobucket

My Grand Baby loves this Water Feature. It is amazing that even the adults played with this too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very cool. What is that fountain, your grandson's fave, attached to? Love your pool.

o

Love your pool.
Congrats.

o

wow
the pool looks very nice.love the blue water.
very nice.did u get the heat pump ?
make sure u keep the ph down for the first 2 weeks while u brush

congrats and enjoy

o

Wow Brent that looks huge, the screen room really makes the area look much larger than a 6k gal pool. To answer your question from a few days ago, yes you can put polymeric over the regular sand, but we pressure wash first to get all surface and loose sand off. Don't know if your wife wants to pressure wash that in the Florida room as I don't really know what a Florida room is. A good hosing will do, then put in polymeric. Cheaper than a sealer to hold sand in place. And I think that looks like bishop's hat as we know it here in the west, but things are different all over US. I like how you combined the holland pavers and bishop pattern, looks very nice outside the screen. One question on the screen as we don't do them here. Is that just anchored to the footer or are the posts set down in the footer? Are those posts steel or aluminum that support the screen room? When we build a patio cover here we have to use steel for a 90 mph wind load, and for how far apart those supports are we would probably have to set steel down into footers and pour concrete around them. Again, different area of country, different codes. But you must get more wind with hurricanes than we would ever get, NV is tough on all codes and getting even stiffer. Thanks for your time, enjoy the pool. Barb

o

nosabe, the fountain feature is at Lowe's in the garden section for $15.00. It is for ponds and I adapted it. I had a special return put in the floor of the pool to put things like this. It can also be adapted to your return coming out of the side of the pool, just make sure that you put in a valve to adjust the flow. It does not take much pressure as I found out and I made the mistake of putting full pressure and the fountain blew water past the screen roof. LOL... I can post pics of the set up if you wish. Have fun with this..........

o

Can you post pictures of the return ? Is it a solid pipe ?
I have a return on the spa that I want something that doesn't need a solid pipe but that will float on top

Thanks'

o

domingos35, we have not purchased a heat pump yet. The water is 90 degrees and I have too many projects to do. I will be asking for your help on heat pumps in the future. I would like to move my pool pump switch and my pool light switch. The pool light switch is an easy fix however the pool pump switch is a more challenging project. I have it on a standard intermatic timer and I have to go to the side of the house to turn it on and off. Can I get some suggestions? Is there a remote I can adapt or something????
Thanks in advance

o

airborne101, Barb, thanks for your advice on the pavers. The style is very close to bishop pattern, this style is called Estate and the pavers are made by Tremron. To answer your question about the screen. It is aluminum. It is screwed in the footer. Florida code says that any screened structure has to have 12" x 12" rebarbed footers. The PB put extra steel in the footers and used a different kind of concrete in them. The small wall you see around the pool was built because we had a grading problem. That is the actual footer which we covered up with 1" pavers. The screen is then attached to it. We live in a 120mph zone. The PB built our cage to withstand 140mph. The beams are 2 inches wider and he put L brackets on the sides of each post. He tells us if we get a strong hurricane the house will be gone but the florida room and the pool cage will be standing. I guess we will at least have somewhere to stay.... LOL......

Fletch58, the fountain does have a solid pipe coming from the floor. I will try to take a pic of it.

o

Fletch58, here are the pics of the water fountain and the setup. Enjoy.........
Also look at my pebbles coming out and this just day 5 with water in the pool........

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I really like your pool!! Incorporating your pavers into the Florida room was a GREAT idea!!!!

o

Wow Brent, 140 mph. I believe it, I caught a show on a hurricane in the islands and saw a cage still standing, the homeowner said they got 170 mph, of course the screens suffered, but the cage fared better than his tile roof. Interesting to me, never been to Florida, how they build them may have to do with aluminum versus steel. Sure adds an awesome look to a pool area, makes it look so huge. You did a nice job on the pool. I looked at your pix again, have an idea what a Florida room is, we call them sunrooms here. Enjoy the pool, thanks for the answers, Barb

o

I thought that it was time to add some more pics as I added a couple of things. The first is the install of a pentair deck jet just opposite the mermaid/ dolphin statue. The ball that has the 3 streams of water is very loud and I have it on an adjustable pentair never lube valve. I can control the height and length of the water stream. I have never had it on full pressure but I do know it can shoot 30ft wide and 30 ft high:) Of course it was a mistake when testing it out and why would you want it shooting out so far. It is a cool toy to play with though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some pics of the Dolphin Bar and Grill including some night time pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a pic of the Flamingo Lounge. The wife like to name things. LOL

Photobucket

Here are some night time pool pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Okay it is 10mths later and we now have green grass covering the sand and dirt and some landscaping. I thought I would post some pics. Thanks you for looking.

The bushes outside the screen are pineapple- guava bushes. They have the prettiest pink edible flowers and I am told that they will bear edible fruit. I put these in hoping for a privacy fence.

Photobucket

Photobucket

DW has named this area as the Pump Pad Pub. She has a sign being made and we will hang it by the pool equipment. You might ovserve that We added solar heat to the pool in March to use as our main souce of heating with the heat pump as a back up to be used in the cooler mths. I am very pleased with it. It keeps the pool at 89 degrees during the week, and I turn it up to 94 degrees on the weekend as we like to swim at night. We love warm water and DW will not go in the pool unless it is 88 degrees or higher. What can I say, we got to keep the women happy :)

Photobucket

This is another pic of the Dolphin Bar and Grill. The Flamingo Lounge is to the left of it. DW loves to name things :) I am considering building a more permanent outdoor kitchen here along with a bar to seat at least 6-8 people. I have to put a cover over the top screen first, so as to keep out the afternoon summer showers.

Photobucket

I have the bubbler attachment in place of the glass bowl.

Photobucket

Lots of green outside the screen which make a big difference compared to last years pics earlier in this blog

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are a couple of night time shots. The plants lit up are Majesty Palms and the lights are solar powered, $20 for a bx of 2 from Walmart. The dolphin/ mermaid statue is also lit up.
The girls enjoying night time swimming while drinking Champagne.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Brent it looks awesome! Love all the green and uplighting. Perfect..... Barb

o

Looks great! What a difference some landscaping makes. We are at that awkward point now....a pretty pool, surrounded by a mud pit! Once the new fence is up, we can start the landscaping. I can't wait. Nice work, enjoy it!

o

Barb thank you for your kind words. I had a hard time to get anything to grow during the winter and I am just happy with the green, most may be weeds :)

to-the-beach, I still have more projects to do however I am able to relax and enjoy the pool more. I still have 3 more electrical outlets to put in and a whole summer kitchen/ bar to design and build. The projects never end. DW had me replace the party lights to Pink and Teal lights last nite.........

o

Loved looking thru this thread and your other over on troublefree pools on your solar install.

We're on Amelia Island,just north of you and have been considering solar for awhile now. Can you give a ball park figure on the solar?

o

Glad to see the project continues it's forward progress.

With our recent rains I finally see my replacement sod taking hold. Next up is the thinking steps about landscaping. Sometime this summer solar - I seem to be running a 6-month lag with your efforts.

o

Ventura43 send me an email and I will be happy to discuss my findings and experience.

lbridges, your pool looks beautiful. I like the geometric design. Take your time with the landscaping and purchase plants and mulch when they are on sale. It will take some time for your money tree to grow new leaves:)

o

Wow your pool looks great ... I am having a pool installed in St. Pete Beach, I live in NJ and my 21yr old daughter is over seeing the project. My PB has been great to work with. I have a question about the lighting you use in the flower pots, are they solar lights or did you have them wired?

o

mdawn44, the lighting for the flower pots are solar powered spot lights. I got them from Walmart, they cost $20 for a box that has 2 spot lights. They have larger ones for $40 each however I found these to put out the same amount of and they had a nice shape.
Here is another night time pic. Note the reflection of the statue in the water. Also note that the top of the pool cage is also lit up slightly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Brentr,

I saw on another thread where you have added a solar heating system. My husband and I are discussing this very topic. What was the cost for the Aquatherm system and installation?

Thank you!

o

snsn email me at vat-19@juno.com so we can this off line. I would be happy to discuss. We love our solar:)

o

Brentr,

I have e-mailed you for more info. Thank you!

o

Looks really great and you did tons of decking. I love it. We just started our PB in central MD last week. Hoping for decent weather so most of it is done before spring and we are swimming by May. Enjoy your new pool...one other thing, Where did you get the Dophin Bar and Grill sign? I love it!

o

cmanley33, my wife's brother makes signs for a living so he made the sign for us. Since then we added solar and a summer kitchen. Look at these links
http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-solar-system-install-t19278.html
and this link for summer kitchen:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-outdoor-summer-kitchen-in-the-dolphin-bar-and-grill-t25245.html

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Does your BIL have a website where he sells his signs?

o

Wonder if you could give update on your Tremron pavers?
We are getting estimates to resurface the lanai at our FL house and Tremron is used a lot in area around Sarasota...
What about heat in the outside area of pool/pool cage and the patio outside the pool cage?
Did you get white base pavers?
Did you have the exterior ones sealed?
And did you use polymeric sand in the outside portion of the patios--in and out of the pool cage?

o

Wonder if you could give update on your Tremron pavers?
We love our pavers. The screen room has 1.25 inch pavers on top of a concrete slab. Outside is matching 3.5 inch pavers.
We are getting estimates to resurface the lanai at our FL house and Tremron is used a lot in area around Sarasota...
What about heat in the outside area of pool/pool cage and the patio outside the pool cage? There is some heat however it is bareably. We have the lighter colors
Did you get white base pavers? No they are Tremron Estate.
Did you have the exterior ones sealed? No seal on them. I never got around to that yet.
And did you use polymeric sand in the outside portion of the patios--in and out of the pool cage? No polymeric sand yet. Maybe I will do some this year.

o

Your pool looks so fun and well done. I had a question for you: You said I could attach that glass bowl water feature to my return line. Can you tell me how I would do this? What fittings would I need to purchase? Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here