Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl liner Coming out of Coping

Posted by kge9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 18:38

My liner is only 7 yrs old. It's a Merlin liner with a 20 yr warranty. I called Merlin as well as the installer and no one is coming to fix it. Of course Merlin says it's an installer issue and the installer says someone will call us back, but no one has. I will continue to try to reach the installer and call Merlin, but in the meantime I would like to find someone to fix it before it gets worse. Any recommendations for a Long Island company to contact? Also has anyone else experienced this problem and can suggest a solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl liner Coming out of Coping

Seems you didn't read the warranty. It protects against seam splits. It is pro-rated and doesn't include labor, water, or chems.

Typically, in NJ, a liner will last about 10 years. Weather, chemistry, and general care will make it vary.

The liner's bead often can be popped back in. Boil a large pot of water. Bring it and a small pot to the edge of the pool. Ladle some water across the bead to soften the vinyl and pop it back in.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott. The installer gave us a 20 yr. parts and labor warranty on the bill. Since they are ignoring us is there someone you can recommend that comes to Nassau county, LI. My DH broke both wrists a few weeks ago so he can't fix it and I'm not strong enough.
We heard about a coping lock. Will we need to use one and where would we get it?

o

The exact terms would need to be written on the bill for that to have stand up value in court. The pool company you used, if they changed hands, kills any warranty.

Once the hot water hits the bead and vinyl, unless you're in your 80s, you would be strong enough. The hot water really softens things and makes it much easier. If you have additional trouble, I would find another pool service. Yes, you'll pay but it'll be done. There are far too many pool services and too many miles for me to recommend one out by you.

Liners in our region last about 10 years. The 20 year warranty is pro-rated. This is just the manufacturers way of trying to keep you using their brand, not that Merlin isn't a premium brand (it is).

What you may need is called bead lock, not coping lock.

Scott

o

Thanks again Scott!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here