Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

How far do you take quality with your PB?

Lil B
10 years ago

We are finishing up our pool build, and I'm frustrated with the PB not taking accountability on some of their mishaps. By this point in our build, we have paid 100% of contract price and are awaiting punch list items and our pool cover to be installed.

I'm posting a pic of a stain / or etching on our brand new decking. We *think* this happened when the guys came to expose the quartz (plaster) in the pool right before we filled with water. At that time, I thought marks in our decking would come out when they gave the entire decking a good power spray. That's what our supervisor kept telling us. I didn't point out this spot immediately, because there are so many things I'm constantly checking to see if they did right! I just figured it would be taken care of.

Today, our sup. told me that there is really nothing that they can do to fix this, since it is etched into the concrete. That even if they repoured that section of decking, it wouldn't match.

What happens in cases like this? Should a quality, reputable builder offer to pay some sort of compensation? Give an extra period of warranty, offer something else above and beyond?? What is reasonable for me as a homeowner to expect as to the end quality?? Are these marks inevitable?

The marks form a large "U" shape about 3 feet across.

Close up

I have been frustrated with a number of small things in this build where the PB messed up, and we were the ones always giving in without renumeration of any kind.

Here's a sampling of these small things:
1) Tanning Ledge was supposed to be 8-10" depth, decided at dig when designer was supposed to be there. He never showed up, and we forgot to enforce that. After gunite, it looked shallow and we were assured it would be 6" which was apparently "standard". After filled with water, we have 5"

2) Coping said in contract it would be straight edge cast stone. They delivered bull nose cast stone, and we pointed out the difference. They said straight edge was a special order and would delay our build by at least 2-3 weeks. So, we opted to give in and take the bull nose.

3) Contract stated 2 bags of abaloni shell to be added to the quartz. At plaster day, I saw only 1 bag and inquired. After calling the head plaster guy, they told me that 1/2 bag to 1 bag is more standard to a pool this size and that 2 bags would look kinda ridiculous. Again, I deferred to them...but our contract stated 2 bags. No credit received.

4) Contract stated the arbor was supposed to have recessed lights (from designer). Electrician noted that was basically impossible due to the way the arbor was constructed and the recessed lights would stick out. We wanted some nicer fixtures than they were offering to buy us, so we paid $90 out of pocket for 2 wall-mount lights and we received a $50 credit for the recessed lights not provided.

5) Designer told us the bubblers would be adjustable to as much as 1 foot tall. They are running now, and the sup. told me this morning that they are running about the maximum height we can expect. They are probably 8" tall at most. He did say we may be able to put a smaller fitting on the bubblers and make it a bit taller.

Comment (1)