Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pump keeps burning out

Posted by paradigmdawg (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 18:29

So as of last week, I am on pump #3. The first one lasted 1 year, got really hot and seized up. The PB came out and replaced it for free and said that he never has issues with Pentair pumps.

That one lasted until last week which is almost 1 year to the date of the replacemnt of the original.

Once again the PB came out, scratched his head and said he never has problems with these pump motors. I asked him if I should build a cover high above it to keep it shaded and he said I could but he never does and the pumps always seem to last.

So far this hasn't cost me a dime but I am sure at some point I will be expected to pay for these pumps. So- my question is "why am I burning through pumps?"

My pool is 14,000 gallons, the main pump is 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflow. Pump time is 8 hours/day. Water features run off of a seperate pump.Pad is ~20 feet from pool.

Here is an old picture of the equipment pad taken before we made it look prettier over there.

Thoughts?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pump keeps burning out

Check the voltage. This sounds like a low voltage situation.

BTW, a 3/4 HP is all you really need just to run the pump. It will save you on the power consumed with sacrificing that much in GPM.

While the pump is desert rated, having it shaded will help some.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here