Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool tile yes or no

Posted by cactusfreak (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 17:57

We are having our pool replastered. We have frost proof tile left from the first time. Unused still in box. But the guy does not want to use it.
He says we need to let him buy new tile. We must remove the old tile and clean it up. He will lay new tile and charge $1600. for a 16x32 oval.
Or he says we can just not put any tile back and leave it plain. I know it keeps the water line clean and looks good. But is it necessary for another reason?
Can we just leave it off?
He has it listed as optional on the estimate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool tile yes or no

cactusfreak,
I would use tile.
Why doesn't he want to use your tile if there is enough?
There is no way to reuse any of the existing tile if you are thinking of removing and reusing.
Besides being a hugh cleaning nighmare, there are few plaster products designed to extend out of water.

o

Easy: Find a new guy.

o

golfgeek nailed it.

In most cases where I am, the old tile is chipped off when the plaster is chipped off for the same price.

New tile is then installed...and the numbers I run would easily be under $1,000 for new standard grade pool tile in the size you mention.

o

Tile, to my way of thinking, is not optional. The protection of the waterline, a highly visible part of a pool, is a must.

The vast majority of plaster finishes don't like being exposed to air and aren't made for that. The dirt that accumulates is unsightly.

Unused tile from years ago is unlikely to be of sufficient quantity and if the pattern were still available today, will not match exactly because it came from a different lot. No two lots are identical. The hue and intensity will be different and you will wind up with more than one shade.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here