Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair Gunite Crack Behind Tiles

Posted by concretehole (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:55

I had a couple of tiles pop off and I found a crack in the gunite behind them. The crack is about 18 inches long and at one spot had a loose pieces of gunite I could pop out about an inch and a half wide.

I would like to repair the crack before re-installing the new tiles. Wiki says to remove lose pieces, grind away a little at the sides and fill with Portland cement. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with repairing gunite and if Portland cement is my best option for filling the crack?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair Gunite Crack Behind Tiles

I hate to answer my own posts but for anybody who has the same question or me next time I search the answer was to use Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement. It was wild to work with as it heats up in your hand but did a great job of filling crack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJM1537rp8s

Here is a link that might be useful: Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement

o

just curious, was your builder not avail to correct? or is the pool beyond the standard warranties? thanks for your research. glad you didn't just sit and wait.

o

He went out of business. Pool was built during the boom in 2007. He was putting up pools all over the place and cutting corners. I am certain if he was still around he would fight me saying it was settling or earthquake damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here