Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paradigmdawg

Newbie here

paradigmdawg
14 years ago

Been lurking on this forum for the past 3 weeks and just wanted to say hi.

The Wife and I planned on building a pool next year. We decided to start getting all the 'ducks in a row' this year and then got all excited and went ahead and pulled the trigger. All the crazy permits are now out of the way and when I got home from lunch today, I noticed my yard had a spray painted pool in it. I checked my voice mail and my PB said he was staking out the pool tomorrow and digging on Thursday!

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/greggable/Pool/023.jpg[/IMG]

I interviewed 6 different builders secondary to me being a tad anal- researched them, checked references and weeded out the ones that didn't fit what I was looking for. We are very happy with the PB we went with and I hope it stays that way now that we are about to really get started.

We have a small back yard and are using about all of it. The Wife designed the pool and is picking out most materials. I will update the progress as we go.

Sorry to ramble on...just excited!

Comments (92)

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey paradigm, Are you going to buy the sealer from Noble Tile? They had some that was really reasonable....where as Master Tile had some that was a lot more $$$.
    I want to seal my travertine, but not sure what sealer to get. I want to get the good stuff, but the cost difference was almost $50.
    Or did your PB give you a brand or tell you where to buy it???

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet,

I haven't discussed it with the PB yet. They carry a sealer at their store front that he said was good but we didn't go into details. I will ask him plus do some research on this and using an anti-slip compound in the sealer.

I am going to seal it myself. He said he could do it but told me it is kind of silly to pay him for this as it is really easy.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They just spray painted the deck out.

The schedule is this- unless something happens:
    Saturday: stake out the deck
    Tuesday: pour deck
    Friday: Pebble Tec
    Sunday or Monday: Fill with water

• jparkfire
    14 years ago

Tuesday Pictures?

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope we are ready for pictures on Tuesday. They still have to build our small retaining wall but he said that won't slow down plaster and filling if it's not done by then.

• womanowned
    14 years ago

"I interviewed 6 different builders secondary to me being a tad anal- researched them, checked references and weeded out the ones that didn't fit what I was looking for."

Just a comment from a PB and NOT Related to "newbie"...none of us get 100% of the business that we bid, so, if you have had multiple builders give you designs, pricing, etc., do us a favor and let us know that you have selected someone else. Telling us why is also helpful. I have had a few who promise to let you know and then they don't even answer emails. It is just common courtesy and it applies to more than just buying a pool. Sorry...not a lecture, just a request.

• jparkfire
    14 years ago

womanowned, I like your comment. I have been in sales and always want to find out why I lost an order. Even though the answer might have some pain envolved I still like to know. I have interviewed five PBs and my initial reaction to the presentations and the following designs lead me to on in particular. Two of the five were never considered after the first meeting because it was so obvious that they didn't listen to me then just made something they liked or something that they build over and over again. We are still going with the best design because that was the PB that paid attention. When we give the go ahead I will be sure to let everyone know.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey Paradigm,

I saw your post on Jenn's build about filling time. Our pool is about 17K gallon's and it took 22 hours...that was with 2 hoses going full blast and we are on city water.
    What we did was took a reading of the meter when they started and looked at it one hour later and calculated how many gallons per hour were going in, then we did some fancy math and found out based on the size of our pool how long it would take. You may be off an hour or two, but it will give you an idea of when the pool will be full.
    Luckily ours was not in the middle of the night.
    You can also get a good idea of how many gallons your pool is too.

Regardless, don't shut the water off til its' full or you will have a water line on your interior...especially since you are doing Pebble Tec. That is a big NO-NO that the PB and the plaster guys will tell you!

I did ask about the free filling of a swimming pool and none of the MUD district's in Houston do that anymore. Some used to let you fill the pool for free since it's not wasted water and not going back into the sewer....but I would call your water co./district and inquire about it.
    I know some places still do that!!!

Hope your filling soon! Keep the pictures coming!!!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

womanowned,

I called 3 of the builders and discussed in detail why we didn't choose them. I am in Sales myself and always looking at why the competition beat me when I lose an account.

Of of the 6 builders we had out, two of them never followed up or provided the "sketch outs" that they promised so they were eliminated off the bat.

The other one....I paid to build my pool. Strangely enough, he was our last appointment and the first to follow up and provided the drawings.

• jparkfire
    14 years ago

It is interestisting how that goes. My last appointment is the one I have chosen, too. He was the only one who listened to my needs and he designed the pool right in my kitchen, on his computer. Others took notes and went home. I even asked one guy if he read the notes he took.

• jparkfire
    14 years ago

Where did you get the bowls?

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jparkfire,

We looked for these high and low and finally found them in AZ. The shipping was more than the actual product. A day or two before we were going to order them, we found a local place that made them in house.

http://www.phoenixprecastproducts.com/planters.html

http://www.jacksonpottery.com/default.aspx

• womanowned
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg & jsparkfire...I always prefer to be the last one to meet with a potential client and I am 9 times out of 10 the first to provide drawings and details. Listening is key and providing what is wanted is very important. Knowing why you did not get a job is important for a couple of reasons: maybe the other builders are not offering the same things or construction details or maybe it is that they have some unspoken concern about you or something. Thanks to those of you who take the time to tell us when we don't get a job and why!

• adgpoolman
    14 years ago

How much of a criteria was the actual company in your pool decision? I am always curious how people trust so much money to such small operations. It seems hard to believe that your PB was pouring 4 decks in one week....I think they haven't built 10 pool all year.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

adgpoolman,

I guess you are talking to me?

The actual company was huge in my decision. I am not certain I would consider my PB a small operation. They have been here for over 20 years and built a lot of pools. My project manager was with one of the big "corporate" pool companies for 20 years before he went to my PB and he has been with this company for 10 years. This company also does the repairs and maintainence for almost every other pool company in FTW.

They have built pools for a few of my friends and they were all very happy and ended up with the best looking pools around here.

As far as the "pouring 4 decks in one week" is concerned, I think that was the sub who does the deck. I know of two other companies that use the same sub in this area.

I am also not too concerned with the amount of money spent. A pool is less expensive that each of the cars in my garage so I don't consider it a big investment.

I did speak to a couple of "big" pool companies that had a bunch of builds going on at once. They seemed the worst at listening to what I wanted and also had the slowest projected complete time. Neither of these two things impressed me.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, there is a bunch of sand/dirt that got dumped in my yard today. They are supposed to be staking out the deck but from what I can see so far, they are just here to talk to each other as they hold shovels...There is a bunch of them tough...

• adgpoolman
    14 years ago

dawg,
    You are the kind of buyer that gives me hope at opening my own pool company. I always feel like people should take buying a pool much more serious...unlike a car that can be traded in.

The important part is that you are happy with the pool.

Hypothetically, If you had a pool designed for you..would you contract it yourself?

Thanks

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

adgpoolman,

I do think I took building the pool seriously. I interviewed 6 PBs, searched references, looked at pools each had built, had a beer with a couple of them and took 2 months deciding who to go with. You are correct that the difference in a car and pool is more than the cost as you are stuck with a pool and not with a car.

So far my pool is exactly what we asked for. The only changes are the ones I asked for.

You mean like an owner build? No way, I am way too busy for anything like that and I know nothing about construction or people who work in that industry. I like the way we did it. My wife designed and drew out the pool. We gave it to the PBs and they did what they do. It was shocking to see some of the builders turn in their sketches that looked nothing like what we asked for.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy cow, square feet add up quickly.

While they were staking out the deck yesterday I added some "on the fly" adjustments. My PB called me today and said "I like what you did with your deck, did you know that added over 300 sq/ft to it?".

I told him that I thought he was way off and I would call him back after I measured it. I was all ready to call him and tell him how far off he was until I got the tape measurer out. Yep...323 sq/ft.

In my contract it states that additional decking is $9.10 per foot. I called him and told him he was correct and we would need to cut cost somewhere or have a pool without water. He told me to just hang on, I had some more credits coming my way. He is going to run some numbers and get back with me this evening. He said I would be very pleased.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

One can never have too much decking......it looks great, gives everyone room to socialize and LESS YARD TO MOW!
    Can you post some pictures????
    Looking forward to seeing what you tweeked!

We added extra bits here and there too on our decking--glad we did! You will not regret it, even if the cost is a bit more. We also widened our drive way and wow, that was the best thing my hubby ever suggested....and our PB didn't charge us extra for any of that.
    Sounds like you have a great PB who will go to whatever lengths to make you happy!!! Happy customer's will refer more business their way.

OK, waiting on pics Paradigm!!!!!
    What kind of decking again???

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is stamped concrete in a Grand Ashlar pattern.

We added this sidewalk:

Brought a section of this part of the deck out more:

And the retaining wall was going to cut in at an angle and now it will be straight which added more decking.

My big dog is already waiting to get in!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the deck coming off the patio.

My wife like to keep things clean even though I always tell her to just wait until they are done.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

You will LOVE the sidewalk....I assume it's coming from the front of your house/driveway??? Great addition....

Love the pooch too--he/she is cute!!!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, everyone on here keep their fingers crossed that the rain stays away for the next several days. Schedule is confirmed for decking tomorrow, fencing on Saturday, Pebble Tec on Monday, acid wash and fill on Tuesday, sprinkler on Wednesday and sod on Thursday.

Man, I think I am about 12k over budget but I am too afraid to add it all up and see!

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

paradigmdawg, you pool looks beautiful. It will have a very elegant look to it. We will hopefully put water in our today. Look at out thread "Our New Pool Build in Jacksonville, FL" I know what you mean about going over budget. The construction tore up more grass than expected and I will have to redo about half of the sprinkler system and I am putting in special electrical pulgs and adding 3 extra hose bibbs, not to mention the wife is already shopping for patio furniture and a summer kitchen and a tiki bar. Will it never end!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep brentr, the cost goes up quickly. We were kind of silly and purchased all the patio furniture as soon as we signed the contract. Now I kind of wish we held onto that money so I could afford to eat!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the big trucks arrived at 6:30 this morning (I bet our neighbors hate us)and were gone by 10:30am. They said they would be back tomorrow and wash it and detail some stuff. I assume it will get lighter over the next few days but I am already loving it.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Looks amazing. I like the pattern in the concrete--it matches the geometric look of the pool perfectly!!!
    It does lighten up quite a bit.
    You're almost there!!!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

The deck is beautiful!!!!! I may have a free form in my backyard, but I LOVE seeing these gorgeous geometric/formal pools!!! Going to be drop dead gorgeous! Where are the PT pics?!?!

• jencjudd
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, too (though I hang out over at the building a home and kitchen forums from time to time :)). I just wanted to ask the OP, did you say who your PB was? I tried to scan through all the posts several times, but I keep getting interrupted by the kids. We are planning a pool build in the DFW area, and are just now getting quotes. I love your pool! If you don't mind sharing (or sharing again), your pool company, and if you are happy so far (you seem to be), that would be great. Thanks!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We went through a long process and interviewed 6 PBs and weeded them out from there. In the end, I was most impressed with Seahorse pools. They really listened to what we wanted and were quick to return to us with the graphics. They also built my neighbors pool and we liked it though it was a natural looking pool which is not what we wanted.

Our pool finished filling at 5:30 this morning and we had our first long swim tonight. I will post some more pictures this weekend once I get the sod in and the backyard looking good.

My wife designed the pool and we love the look of it.

• jencjudd
    14 years ago

Oh my, that is GORGEOUS. Wow...what a beautiful color; love the decking, the style, everything! I'm going to check out Seahorse pools right now online. Thanks! Enjoy the pool...I WISH we had one right now, with all this humidity we've had lately!

Thanks again.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks jencjuddSeahorse doesn't have an impressive website. They are actually pretty selective on who they build for. I will tell Bob to be on the look out for a call from you. I assume your first name is Jenn?

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

paradigmdawg, LOOKS AWESOME! Love the water color, especially with your pool style! Man you must be thrilled. Wish I could say the same....STILL going through crap with our PB. :(

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What's going on with your PB Janet?

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey there, I was just looking at your pictures.....amazing! Tell your wife, she did GREAT!!!!! I love to see geometric pools and your color is great!
    I bet your water is nice and cool since you just filled. Ours is feeling kinda bathish......the past week, the water has been very warm @ 92 degrees in the afternoon and evenings.
    Things look wonderful and I bet you forgot all about the troubles, messy yard and minor mistakes......
    Congrats!!!!
    Oh yah---did you ever decide on sealing your shellstone and what product you will use?
    The guy I was talking to had a huge job in S. Texas then got sick, so I'm waiting patiently for him to come out and give me that official quote and git r' done!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today was retaining wall and yard level/top soil day. The retaining wall was something we didn't really want but had to have secondary to the slope of our yard. We went back and forth on how this wall should look. We decided to contrast it vs. matching the pool wall and crossed our fingers and hoped it would turn out good. Well, they just finished and I love it.

The little cuts outs you see will be down lights to add more punch.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Janet!

I had 7 yards of fill dirt brought in and layed 1250sq/ft of sod and ran the landscape lighting on Thursday and Friday. We had our first little pool party yesterday.

We love it and after owning an almost completed pool, I have decided that it was stupid to ever live my life without one. My wife did a great job on this design and I even got the chance to do some manual labor. I am dying for my vacation to be over so I can get back to work and get some rest!

I have not sealed the coping yet but I am going with the Stone Tec- Bullet Proof. I am not in a big hurry since salt won't be added for another 3 weeks.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

That is so beautiful. Your wife is an excellent designer. Congratulations for a job well done. Thanks for sharing them.

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just need to bury the landscape lighting wires and plant a few more trees and bushes and pray that all my new sod lives.

View from the living room.

View coming in the side gate

Corner of the house

Opposite corner of house

View from behind the wall (praying sod lives)

Behind the wall on the other end.

I will try to get night pictures tonight. We love how this turned out!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

WOW. Looks incredible. You are a machine, I can't believe you've done all that work in such a short amount of time! The sod and landscaping made such a difference. I can't wait to have some!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

OMG---it looks incredible!!! That retaining wall looks great, I love it. It gives your pool area and decking a nice look and sets it apart from the yard.

The SOD will live, just water it ALL THE TIME. Ours looked just like that at first...some brown, some green and ours is almost all green now. A few small brown spots, but green is growing through....I did water mine like crazy the first 2 weeks.
    The bowls are a great finishing touch! Next to mine, you get the Best Geometric Pool Award of 2009!!!
    Don't you love your sheer decents/waterfalls? They are great!
    Impressive work my friend!!!

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are a few shots from last night.

• snsn
    13 years ago

Hello...in surfing this forum, I noticed you have the stamped decking overlay that my hubby and I have chosen. In my post of our pool build, I mentioned that the PB's contractor cautioned us about this pattern as he felt there would be a higher increase in slipping, especially after the sealant is applied. Have you had any such issues?

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The deck isn't the slightest bit slippery. You can run at full speed, when it's wet and try to slide and your feet will just stick.

I guess one could add the wrong type of sealant and make it slippery.

• firstpoolforme
    13 years ago

Hello paradigmdawg,

I hope you are still reading!... I love the design of your pool, we have a similar layout of our house and backyard and trying to maximize the space for our pool.

What are the dimensions of your pool? how close to the house is it?...

THANKS

firstpoolforme

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi firstpoolforme,

Don't get on here much but I hope I am not too late to help you.

We are maxed out to our easement lines so this is the biggest we could go in our yard. The pool is 32' in length and 10ft wide on one end and 17ft on the end with the stairs.

I am posting some shots from different angles so you can better see what I am talking about.

The pool is exactly 5 ft from the house.

• firstpoolforme
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info paradigmdawg!!!... I love the design of your pool, it has so much personality.

I think ours is going to be similar in dimensions, since we have some utility easements we need to work with. Now, I am working on the equipment... Pentair or Hayward? What are you using?

Thanks again

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have all Pentair. I don't really know what is best. Our main pump went out 2 months ago, the IC-40 went out at the beginning of this summer and my temp probe is out right now.

I hope this is just being unlucky as it could get expensive in a hurry.

My PB has been great and each item was replaced the next day and didn't cost me a dime. I still haven't called about the temp probe.