Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zlikezebra

Required Number of LED Lights

zlikezebra
13 years ago

While, I have doing some reseach on this site, I am still a little unclear about the numbers of LED lights we will need.

The pool we are building:

Geometric - 40' X 22' (max)

Pebblesheen - relatively dark (either Blue Prism or Granite)

Our pool builder recommends 2 Pentair Intellibrite, but our original quote called for 3 LED's.

I did call pentair techsupport and they recommended at least 4 - preferably 6 LEDs (which seems a lot and yes I did clarify that I was asking them about LED).

I heard / read so much about people with regret about not having installed more light sources, that I really want to get it right without going overboard.

What we want is a nicely lit pool that cycles during the different "solid" colors, but at the same time we don't have the ambition to light up the neighborhood.

Would appreciate thoughts, comments, experiences

Txs

Z

P.S. we are building in Austin

Comments (13)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

The tech support guy is looking to light the neighborhood and likely has stock options.

Without seeing the shape of the pool design, it's really hard to say whether 2 or three will be needed.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

I have a 22X44 I did with 2 lights, I wish the client would have went with 4.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Wow! Rec or Free Form? I would expect that would be rather bright, nice from afar but when swimming, I would expect it be might a bit strong.

Scott

• tjkba
    13 years ago

I have a 20 x 40, 8ft deep end and 2 Intellibrite LED's, it's perfect, wouldn't want a third....

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

Keep in mind that if it's too bright, it'll be the star attraction for every bug in the vicinity. :(

I have 2 Intellibrite's spec'ed for a semi-gemometric 40x20 pool with a light blue colored interior. My PB said it should be just fine.

A friend of mine has a 42x26 freeform with darker Pebble finish and two regular lights (not IB's). In that case, the two lights are just a bit too dim. A lot depends on the shape of the pool, where the lights are situated, and the color of the pool interior.

• chulaman
    13 years ago

I have a 18x49 pool in Midnight Blue Pebble with 4 Intellibrites...It's perfect

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

We are just talking about the pool fixtures, right? And not including the spa fixture, if applicable, right?

Scott

• paradigmdawg
    13 years ago

Our pool is 32' x 17' and has one IntelliBrites which the pool builder and my wife says is plenty, I think we could have used 2.

On that note, we never turn it on. Sure it's pretty and cool to show off when people are over but it turns out that the wife and I both like night swimming with the pool in a creepy dark stage and just use the landscape lighting for effect.

When we are playing night time volleyball, we use the dual flood lights that makes it almost day light out there.

• zlikezebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok seems that the Pentair tech support rep was trying to help their revenue. So it seems that the question still is 2 or 3 intellibrites.

And yes i was talking about the pool lights (not the spa fixtures - actually we are not building a spa).

I have attached a rough drawing of the design (hope the link works). There is a seating area on the left with a round swim-up table (albeit we are likely to turn it into a half circle to avoid intruding into the swim lane).

Depth will be 3.5' on the left going to a deepend of 7' on the right.

Location wise we are tentatively planning to place the light on the side of the pool facing away from the house (bottom of the page).

Looking at this - I am actually wondering whether we need to add a Spa-type light fixture in the left hand seating area as the table might be blocking the light.

The pool finish will be on the darker side (probably Prism Blue Pebblesheen).

Thanks again for all the help.

Z

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mudn
    13 years ago

I've placed 2 in my 34x20 freeform. You can see them in the plans here. My pool isn't done yet so can't comment on their effectiveness.

{{!gwi}}

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

Z: I'm having a hard time making out the small drawing, but from what I can see, if you intend on putting both lights in the middle, you're going to get a hotspot there, and some dark areas elsewhere.

• zlikezebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mudn - great design can't wait to see some real pictures once it is done.

Rice_Rocket
    Actually, I haven't decided on the location of the lights yet - I think what you saw are the two lit bubblers (which are going to be switched separately from the LED lights). I was really thinking to place 1 LED on each end = 2, and eventually a 3rd one in the middle (in fact between the two bubblers but facing away from the house).

Thanks for all the help

• mudn
    13 years ago

You can see some pictures in the thread titled "Northern California build has begun!".