Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usmcret96

Pool Pump Size

USMCRET96
12 years ago

Hi, Bought a home that had a pool built in the late 1960's. It's a large rectangular pool that measures 20 ft x 40 ft with a diving board and slide. It is concrete and runs from 3-1/2 Ft for half the length before sloping down to 8 ft at the deep end.

The pump went bad and I replaced it with a 1-1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump C48L2N134B1 because the one that died was also 1-1/2 HP. The Filter is a Hayward S244T and the pipe size is 2" PVC.

Aside from a new filter pump, I�ve replaced the heater and had the skimmer basket replaced because the old basket was leaking.

I run the filter/pump about 8 hours every other day and the water does stay clear; however, I�m wondering if the pump is big enough because there is very little water movement around the skimmer and the surface of the water always seems to have leaves or dead critters floating on it.

Even when I vacuum the pool and have closed the main drain, there doesn�t seem to be very much water flow through the vacuum hose and every now and them, the pump loses the charge.

So again, is this 1-1/2 HP pump big enough? Or do I need a bigger pump and filter?

Comments (2)