Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alysenlynn

New Pool Build in SC

alysenlynn
10 years ago

I've been wanting to put a post up like this for the past five years and we are finally here! It'll be a few weeks before we start as we are going fiberglass and it will take 2-3 weeks for them to build our pool and ship it to our location.

Here are the details:

Barrier Reef Fiberglass, model Whitsunday 3 with midnite shimmer gel coat
492 sq ft pool, 31.2' x 15.8'
1 skimmer in the deep end
3 returns in the pool
Added fiber glass tanning ledge that will spill over into the pool, 9.6' x 9.3' and 10 " deep
2 returns on the tanning ledge
Hayward aquarite salt system
Hayward super pump with timer
Hayward pro series top mount sand filter
2 Hayward Astrolite II lights
TigerShark robotic pool cleaner
2" hard pipes
Concrete decking 20 yrds with cantilever edge
This includes all permits, electrical and crane rental.
They are charging extra to haul dirt if we want it removed which seems to be the case with every local company. Most just spread it on your lot. We're debating on which way we will go.

The barrier reef site doesn't have any great pics of this model yet as it is fairly new. It does have a nice swim lane as the shallow steps are on either front corner and not in the middle. There is bench seating off of those steps and in either corner on the deep end.

I'll put a link to the PDF of the model and post more pics in a few weeks when we get started!

http://www.barrierreefpoolsusa.com/_pdf/whitsunday.pdf

Comments (31)

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

Good luck with the build!!! It's an exciting time.

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have finally started our build!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gravel fill

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lifting it off the truck

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lifting it up

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Putting it in place

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View from our existing patio/house

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunshelf that will be placed to the right of the pool

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plumbed

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starting to fill it!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

I've never seen a sunshelf on a fiberglass pool! Looking forward to the end result. I like how big and private your yard is, too.

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you banna fanna. We bought this house because of the extra lot and privacy, It is amazing how far fiberglass has come!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are finally at the grading stage and adding the rest of the water. Electric on Thurs, more grading next week followed by concrete and pool clean up!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side view

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Oh! That is very cool. I love looking at pool builds and yours is something I've never seen before. Can't wait to see it done. Two returns on the tanning ledge - that's great. We only have one on our slightly smaller ledge and I wish we had two. Again, your yard is outstanding.

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the build is going slower then we had planned for but our pool builder warned us of that when we signed the contract. We've had so much rain here in SC this summer that they are behind on everything and are attempting to spread themselves over all the jobs that got put off with the weather.

Tomorrow is electric and then some more grading Weds. Hopefully we will have inspection by the end of the week and then finally the cement. Of course after that we will need to so some landscaping but the pool itself will be done.

Today we filled up the tanning ledge and let it go high enough to see the spill over. It looks like it's going to be a great feature!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Concrete went in today. Cantilever on the pool. The tanning ledge will get a rock coping later. Probably in the spring. Waiting for it to dry!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what it looks like from our existing patio. We have land scaping, sod, etc to go and the plan is to spread that out over this fall and the spring.

• Chris
    10 years ago

Looks great! Congrats!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're finally done for the fall/winter. We're working on a few more bushes but plan for a stone coping around the tanning ledge and flower beds, pots and furniture in the spring. I'll post a few pics now and more after we get the rest of the bushes in today.

It's 35 hear today, brr, which is really cold for us here in SC. Looks like our first dip will be in late spring.

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sod!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We actually got in our pool for the first time this week! we are still minus the stone coping around the tanning ledge but the company we wanted to deal with went out of business so we are on the look out for a new stone person. Enjoy!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tanning ledge with spill over and seating

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View to the house

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the tanning ledge out to the yard

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the tanning ledge other side

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My kindle reader in the tanning ledge (plus wonderful protection of course)

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planters around the pool

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking! Happy swimming.

• banana_fanna
    9 years ago

Wow! Looks great. So sleek. Can you explain about the stone coping around the tanning ledge? I can't envision what you're talking about. Look how much your arborvitae, on the left side, grew in just six months!

• alysenlynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure, banana fanna, With our fiberglass pool the tanning ledge is an add on. It's not built into the actual pool structure, If you look at the photo of my kindle in the tanning ledge you can see to the left of my knee/kindle there is a raised black fiberglass edge. This is how fiberglass pools are made. As the tanning edge is an add on its sits a few inches above the edge of the actual pool. When the concrete was poured for the cantilever edge around the pool that edging could not go around the tanning ledge due to its height. We are going to have some stone coping placed around that black edging to hide it and it will give it the look of a short hot tub.

Isn't it amazing how much the bushes on the left grew! They went in a month before the others.

Thanks for looking!