Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houston Area Pool Plasterering

Posted by ktm250sx (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 17:00

I'd like opinions on pool plastering products and companies in the Houston area. Planned on doing Pebblesheen via Modern Method but prefer not to use them any more.

So, in Houston it appears Adams and MM are the only two certified installers for Pebbletech products. Any other top rated equivalent plasters? I like the Wet Edge Technologies product and it seems to be highly rated, any opinions or suggestions?

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 20:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houston Area Pool Plasterering

MMG is the best installer in Houston for the best product in the market. Any other product is a compromise. Don't make a mistake.

o

Thanks, are you a builder? Just wondering if you have any experience with other plaster companies, either way I appreciate your input. I have no doubt they are as good as anyone, probably the best in this area or the entire country. I'm not going to get into details or talk bad about them but I have a reason I might not use them but it has zero to do with their quality of work.

I'm trying to decide if anyone else is comparable but I'm picky and want the best or close to the best and don't want my personal feelings to get in the way of my decision making on the plaster. I can say I've never heard one bad thing about their work and they did my last pool, plaster and gunite. Plaster turned out not that great but that was due to the builder and his employee pouring too much of a chemical in all at once and discolored the plaster and it was very noticeable. Nothing was done about it either but I never made a huge deal about it and it wasn't Modern Methods fault and never even brought it up to them.

What would be a second choice for plaster? What about Adams, the only other Pebble Tech installer in Houston? Anyone have any experience with Wet Edge Technology? Guy doing my pool likes Stonescapes but I'm not sure that's what I want to use. He's open to whoever I prefer.

o

Hi ktm250sx, unfortunately I am not responding with a recommendation for you, but rather a question. I saw on another forum you were asking for info about South Beach Pools. I am also looking into them and several other builders at the moment. Who did you end up going with after all?

o

It's a long story but I wound up not using Southbeach though I like them. I actually recommended them to a co worker and he's building his pool now. I met a guy through friends who is doing my pool. He's in the pool industry but not specifically a pool builder though he's built them before.

There were only a couple of negatives with Southbeach though I hate to say they were negatives. I've heard different opinions on Azteca gunite but no personal experience with them and in no way am I saying they are inferior to anyone else. I originally was dead set on Pebblesheen but as of now plan on using Wetedge Technologies which was what Southbeach was going to use and has an excellent reputation. Other than really the one issue with the gunite which may not be an issue at all I had zero issues with them. While Azteca might not be my first choice I would not have an issue using them. Southbeach built a neighbors pool and they are very happy with the results. The guys pool I work with is about 3/4 finished but I haven't talked to him in about a week or two.

It can be hard to choose in my opinion as most all will tell you they are the best. My wife and I actually liked most everyone we interviewed and have zero negative to say about any of them except a couple were outrageously priced. I'm not saying they are all the same but I really don't think there are huge differences justifying $20,000-$30,000 price differences assuming same equipment, plaster, etc. Southbay, who has an excellent reputation also, did my gunite and it looks great, at least to me it does. Good luck, it's definitely exciting but can be stressful. We've had a lot of rain issues since we dug the pool but finally got the gunite done after being royally screwed over by one company. Lots of good pool builders around and I'm one to really review every detail in length. So far I'm happy with my decision, good luck.

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here