Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to heat, or not to heat, and when?

Posted by joeschmoe (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 15:58

I live in the Columbus, OH metro area. We'd like to take the plunge (pun intended) and install an inground pool.

For others in my area, or similar climates, do you heat?

If so, do you heat all summer to, say, 80 degrees? Or just at the very beginning and end? This year has been hot enough that I would imagine ambient pool temps would exceed 80, but that's not always the case.

And - do you heat in winter to keep it just above freezing, or just let it freeze as it would in many winters here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to heat, or not to heat, and when?

I live near the Jersey Shore. My pool is typically over 85 degrees F. during the Summer months. The day's sun keep it there without any assistance from the heater. We are roughly in the same longitude and get the same amount of Sun.

I typically heat my pool in May, September and October. Then I Winterize and cover it.

I use a gas heater.

If I had an attached spa, I would likely use it to heat it to about 100 degree for a soak. An attached spa is MUCH SMALLER a body of water than the pool and doesn't require the amount of heat to be added that the pool would. We are talking about 600 gallons vs. 25,000 gallons, btw.

Scott

o

Good points, poolguy. Our local public pools are like bathwater around here lately (we've been over 100 several times and at least in the 90s many days this summer). Our summers are more or less simlar to yours in Jersey (I lived in Morristown for a while in the late 90s).

Now - what about safety issues? Our plan is a fence and gate to keep kids and dogs out, etc...but some say for added protection you should always cover the pool when not in use. Do you have any advice about that? My kids can swim, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with them having easy access without my wife or I around, and the idea of someone else's child getting in and drowning is of course something I couldn't live with!

o

Nothing beats vigilance. I have all sorts of people using my pool. The young ones are always watched or have floatation vests that prevent their head from submerging or going face down. My dogs and my guests dogs swim and bark.

I have a six foot, unclimbable, stockade fence around my back yard to keep out the uninvited. If someone overcomes that and they drown when no one's around, oh well. I did my part. The township did their part by requiring it. Darwin Awards are given to those that are determined to win them.

I never cover my pool when it's open. If I had money to burn, I might have considered an automatic cover. A safety cover for the Winter is a must.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here