Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing pool contractor

Posted by Vatofl (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 15:25

I'm having the hardest time trying to find a good quality pool contractor in Sarasota. Most companies seem to be either BBB accredited, APSP members, or aquatech members but not some combination of the three, which strikes me as a little bit odd.
Naturally one begins to question which credential should take precedence...

These credentials have me concerned as we are embarking on a relatively complex project. We are building a new home with the main living level above the garage. So the infinity edge pool is going to have to be elevated to the main living level.

Pool companies are a dime a dozen here. Most of them specialize in basic "pool packages". So, It's really important that we find a quality contractor that won't botch our relatively complex job...

So what credentials does one look for in a pool contractor?

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing pool contractor

I would probably lean toward the APSP member. See what kind of educational standards that have achieved with the organization like their Certified Building Professional certification. The BBB is a pay for ratings system. I would not go by anything that organization has to say. Aquatech is a buying group that does have certain standards that they set for every builder but that still is no guarantee.

o
RE: Choosing pool contractor

Visit pools of varying ages, from in process to five years old, that the builder has made. Interview the homeowners.

APSP accredited Certified Building Professional helps. BBB is useless, IMHO.

Check for lawsuits.

Watch body language during discussions.

Compare apples to apples as much as you can. Construction practices and equipment brands and materials used are key areas.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here