Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd Spa Pool with a grotto

Posted by desertdance (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:37

This is a very small pool that has jets and is actually a spa (we call it a spool).

This house was a foreclosure, and the heating unit is gone. We did hire a pool guy, but under the grotto is a deep spa, and my grand kids informed me on the 4th of July that it's filthy!

There is a waterfall over the grotto, but the water is cold, and the pool guy has said he is not going swimming to clean it. So it's up to us.

What do we need to clean this mysterious under the waterfall grotto? PLEASE!!

This post was edited by desertdance on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd Spa Pool with a grotto

I'd do a water test to see what your chemistry looks like.

If everything seems okay, which if you have a pool guy it hopefully will be, and if you don't have a vac or anything like that, I'd just get in there and brush all of the surfaces down with the filter running 24/7.

Add enough chlorine to shock.

Brush again, all while keeping the chlorine at shock level. Brush again the next day as needed, all while maintaining shock levels for chlorine.

Organics in the water will consume the chlorine, so initially your chlorine levels may drop significantly over night, say from 20ppm to 15ppm. When you shock at night and the chlorine level only drops about 1ppm over the course of the night, that'll be a pretty good indication that all of the organics have been killed off.

At that point you can let the chlorine level decline into normal range and maintain that.

Then you can reset your filtration from 24/7 to whatever your normal schedule will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here