Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new pool Treasure Coast, Florida

Posted by dcass (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 14:20

Hi!
I just found this forum and it has already been helpful. I am considering putting in a pool and would like some opinions. We are in Indian River county in Florida.

1. What are the pros and cons with paver decking versus something like Kool deck?

2. Pros and cons with regards to an electric heater versus a solar heater?

3. Opinions on salt chlorinators versus the regular chlorine type?

also if anyone has any recommendations or warnings with pool builders in the area, that would be welcome also!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new pool Treasure Coast, Florida

We just completed a pool remodel, so my opinions based on that experience:

1) Our old pool deck was kool deck - we hated it. Always dirty, need repainting now and again. We went with travertine on the remodel (over top of kook deck) and love it.

2) electric heater, much higher up front cost, lower operating cost, but much much slower heating as compared with gas/propane. We went with propane for our spa and did not elect to heat our pool. Will probably go with solar panels at later date.

3) Many people are wild about salt. I went with salt with the new system using Pentair. Honestly, so far, this is a don't care for me. Keeping chlorine system healthy is so easy. The only advantage of salt I'm looking for is cost.

I will say I'm very underwhelmed with the Pentair Easytouch system, although I really like their variable flow pump so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here