Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejimbar

Outdoor Shower and 'Outdoor' Bathroom Pics

thejimbar
15 years ago

Here are the photos of my latest projects.

The outdoor shower / footwash is attached to our pool cabana. It's worked out great for the whole family, we are all using it every day to shower. The water heater is an Eccotemp L5, works like a charm, unlimited hot water, 40 hours worth on a 20 lb propane tank.

The "outdoor" bathroom is inside a storage closet that is built off the back of our house. No more wet and dripping suits walking through the house. This has worked out fantastic for the small investment we made. The "JB" on the door was a surprise gift for us while we were away this week on vacation. Our neighbors who watched our pool for us put them up. Stands for either "Jim Bar" , "Jim Bath", or "Julia's Bath" (their daughter who always has to go pee while swimming at our house) Hope you like the pics.

Comments (18)

• momof3littleboys
    15 years ago

That shower is so cool! It reminds me of a shower at a beach house. That will definitely go into my "ideas for later" folder.

• padrefan
    15 years ago

Amazing!

• tresw
    15 years ago

That looks really cool! I recognize the Ikea mirror, my daughter has one hanging in her room :-) Do you have a drain under the shower or are you letting it drain into the landscaping? If I do one I'll probably do it without a drain because of where it'll be located, but there won't be any soap or shampoo allowed because of that. It'll mainly be for rinsing off. Nice work!

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No drain. About 12" of small river rock, covered by about 3" of the large ones. I put a small piece of perforated drain pipe in there too that runs underground towards the woods. It drains well.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

That is cool. It reminds me of when I was a girl scout leader and we use to go camping but that one didn't have hot water.

• kitchenshock
    15 years ago

Oh what I would give for that Bathroom next to the pool. I tried to build one but my HOA won't allow "out structures" with walls.

• gracedunderpressure
    15 years ago

Inspirational! Everything just fits in together so subtly - you have managed to make the utilities convenient without drawing attention to them and detracting from the beautiful pool & landscaping. Well done! Thanks so much for posting these!

What's the square footage on your bathroom as well as the shower? (Trying to figure out what the minimum space would ideally be to avoid feeling cramped)

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thx! The shower is 4 ft.X 4 ft. and bath is 4 ft. X 5 1/2 ft.

• moocat
    15 years ago

Looks great... how did you match the siding on the shower enclosure so well....? Is it paint? I am trying to plan a shower off the side or back of our future cabana...not sure where to put it...

Cute bathroom....I love the theme you have going.... How bout a little fishing net hanging with some fake fish,soaps or extra TP in it ???? LOL
    I wish we could have done the toilet off the back of the house... the cost to run sewer & water is pretty high... but the convenience will make it worth it in the end...

Too bad our swim season is not a little longer then it is... a pool party at Christmas would be fun !!

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Added a drain pipe for the heater drain today, will eliminate the "wet spot" on the side wall.

• kathleenbaird_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

love this idea for the shower

so the water is coming straight from the water heater.
    All hot-the temp can be controlled?

no cold needed-but you have cold for the bottom faucet, right?

you installed a drain for the water heater- does it drain, does it have a place for the drain?
    Still to your satisfaction?

winter? do you just drain the water?

thanks for your time

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All water that comes in is cold. No hot water line. Water temp is controlled by knobs on heater. Either more or less gas, or more or less flow. Heats the cold water right there at the unit and sends it to the shower head. Works great. Bottom faucet(foot wash)is just cold water line. I added the pvc drain just to divert the small drips of water that drains from the heater. Diverts it right to the ground, which is just a hole filled with river rock for drainage. The heater is made by EccoTemp. Amazon carries it

Here is a link that might be useful: EccoTemp

• paradigmdawg
    13 years ago

I am so getting that Portable Tankless Water Heater...

• joanneswimsct
    13 years ago

Hey Jimbar!
    Thanks for the link to the water heater! I'm sick of my PB trying to sell me his contact's things/ideas. It seems he has a buddy involved in every aspect of building a pool from start to finish. He nearly had me convinced that I needed to work w/ his plumber and electrician along w/ his gas guy to install an under-the-counter heater for our shower to the tune of $1000!!! YIKES! I LOVE this forum as no one here has a hidden agenda (except for the spammers hahaha!) so many great ideas for less can always be found!!!!! Love the video as well on that DIY network!! Your pool has always been one of my favorites!
    Joanne

• inthedrink
    13 years ago

Here's a picture of ours....just cold water, but we love it.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sweet, landscaping and glass tile!

• pacosta80_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi did you follow any plans when building it? if so do you mind sharing I love this shower!