Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urmysunshine62_gw

Houston Area Pool Builders

urmysunshine62
9 years ago

Our family will be moving to the Houston area in September and we would like to have a pool installed. Can anyone recommend a pool builder or even someone to stay away from? We don't want a frilly pool just a place for our family to stay cool and get wet! Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

There are lots of pool builder choices in The Woodlands area, several with good reputations. One issue is they are very busy and a few pool builders with excellent reputations are only interested in building a $100,000 or greater pool along with a lot of other items such as outdoor kitchens, fire pits, etc. There are a couple builders that are really price gouging in my opinion because they can. Guess I can't blame them if people are willing to pay some outrageous price just because the pool builder states "he is the best" and builds pools in a lot of expensive homes.

My opinion, others will vary I'm sure, is to interview several pool builders and decide for yourself. Each one will give you different design ideas and help you make a more informed decision. I wouldn't tell each pool builder how many bids you are getting as some will never respond if you are getting several. I know this from experience as I'm building a pool right now. I see the pool builders point but if they are confident in their product and priced fairly I think if they waste their time to come out and interview they should give the design and quote. Read lots of reviews, Better Business Bureau, Angie's List, etc. I know people tend to complain when things are bad but don't post when things are good so I always consider what I'm reading as far as complaints but look for trends.

I went in with a very open mind and had no firm decision as to who was going to build my pool. I most likely would have used the same company that built my last pool in The Woodlands but the owner sold it and the new guy ruined the company and they went out of business. Pool companies tend to come and go in Texas and there's no regulation so don't necessarily trust anyone. You can pay the pool builder but if they don't pay the sub contractor they can put a lien on your home which is ludicrous but that's the way it is in Texas, not sure of other states. I'm asking for receipts for every sub contractor when they are paid.

Atlantis Pools, Hipp Pools, Lone Star Pools, Sundance Pools, Cypress Custom Pools, Pierce Pools, all seem to have good reputations and have been in business for a while. There's a lady on here that posts regularly that also builds pools but I'm not 100% sure on the name of her pool company. I really like Hipp Pools but he was at least $20,000 above my next highest quote and designed the smallest pool by several feet. No doubt he builds a great pool but I compared every detail and couldn't justify his price. He told me he was always the highest because he could be. Can't blame him for pricing high with plenty of people willing to pay. Sorry, long post but this is my opinion after my experience. Good luck!

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 10:15

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

I don't think you have private messaging enabled, at least I'm unable to send you (WPCNORTE) a message.

My pool is dug and rebar done but waiting on Modern Method which keeps delaying the gunite. We've been given a couple of dates which have slipped. Stressing me out with all the rain showers and having the pool already dug.