Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizablue_gw

Houston, TX Pool Remodel- Finally

Elizablue
10 years ago

Okay so this is my first post. After waiting years....YEARS....I'm finally doing a full pool/deck remodel.

I'm using Express Pools who came highly rated from Angie's List. This alone, searching for a pool company took me a couple of years to finally decide on.

I'm getting quartz plaster, new tiles, flagstone coping and a extended spray deck. I'm adding a grotto water feature, dive rock and taking out the wall of the spa and making it a beach entry...sort of.

I'm not doing the slope into the pool but retained the outer wall of the spa for seating and then having concrete poured to raise the entry.

What else? Oh I'm also doing an outside kitchen so the columns of the existing patio will be getting bricked. I'll be uploading some pics soon.

We have a bit of rain here lately, so they didn't start until today. But in the first hour the pool has already been drained, and most of the coping removed. They work fast!

Comments (18)

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before...

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a rough drawing I did, but it sort of shows where I'm going with the design.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the main players.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Please keep us updated, especially with pics - we of the "mature" pool club are hungry for info on remodels! :)

• piaa
    10 years ago

Wooo Hooo congratulations

If you don't mind what manufacturer and color are your small glass combo tiles and what color quartz will you be going with.

Looks great

Pia

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you MiaOKC, yes I completely understand. Mature checking in here!!!! I finally got my last child graduated from college and my funds have been rightfully returned to the owner...lol.

Here are some updated pics. They are moving really really fast.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi piaa and thank you. These are for you!

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I initially had these included in the bid, but then I took them out. Somehow when they got started they still included these deco tiles. Now I like them.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the foundation for the grotto...well to the right on the picture. Atop the bench, the protruding pvc is just the pool return to the grotto.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These folks are very precise and very detailed. The grotto is being hand built using moss rocks and boulders, not faux rocks.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up showing the tile, before they mis-corrected and replaced every 10 tile with the deco tile.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So tomorrow they will finish the grotto, the ceiling rock was not picked up today so they only did the columns and back wall. Also they will pick up the dive rock and place it tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

• piaa
    10 years ago

Thank you sooo much for posting - they are fabulous and I have bookmarked the website :)

Can't wait to see your final pool :)

Piaa

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting! How deep is your pool and what made you decide on the dive rock? We have 8 ft with a diving board that I want to take out - partially because it takes up so much of the deck and party because I think it's dangerous. But everyone who comes over loves the diving board and hates that I say I'm going to remove it! Kids, adults, everyone - it gets a workout during our pool parties while I clutch my chest and warn people not to dive head first; cannonballs, can openers and belly flops only. I've never even used it, myself.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the pool is finished. We still have some issues with the grotto leaking and there is also some water seepage from underneath the deck. While I think they did a good job on the remodel there were/are some issues we need to work out before I would recommend this company.

The major items are the leaks and water seepage, but also follow-up on painting base of dive rock

They did not keep the area clean at all and we lost a lot of lawn to debris.

Overall I'm satisfied with it but there are some remaining issues.

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi MiaOKC,

It is 11 ft at the deepest end. We decided on the dive rock after the diving board screws broke and after learning that most insurance companies don't like them anymore.

It is a bit bigger than it looks, but we extended the deck behind it so it has lots of room.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Looks great! I love the beach entry, I think that is awesome. Thanks for the additional info on the dive rock. I hope the PB comes back soon to fix the last lingering problems! We are supposed to have someone come give us a quote tonight (some of the 9 PBs we have called have finally started circling back around to the callers they ignored all summer, I guess) so maybe we'll have our own remodeling story to share soon!

• Elizablue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MiaOKC thank you. Just be sure you are very hands on in picking your materials and keeping inventory of you materials paid for vs. used.