Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khami2

Pool Vacuums - The Pool Cleaner by Poolvergnuegen

khami2
15 years ago

I am anxious to hear a review of the The Pool Cleaner (TPC) made by Poolvergnuegen that t-rex ordered on July 2. I am ready to buy one but will wait to hear what you think as your situation mimics ours. From all my internet research, I have to agree that the TPC appears to be the one to buy. We have also had a Navigator for 12+ years. I've never been impressed by it nor by how often we've had to replace the wings and other parts which are quite expensive. Our pool was resurfaced with Pebbletec several years ago and the Navigator doesn't perform nearly as well as it's marginal performance on smooth marcite. We actually bought a manual cleaner which is a pain.

Comments (39)

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

It is the only sweep I sell. There are not many products that legitimately stand up and sell there product by what "it does not do".

The PC is exactly that. It works where others don't. It does not get stuck on drain covers as the Navigator does. It does not ram itself into walls and stay there are most sweeps do. It does not have a huge supply of moving parts that need replaced often. It is American made where others are not. The Navigator has gotten worse since it went to China for production.

You have to know suction sweep design to appreciate the superior technicalities of the sweep but this one has it. It is most often put up against the top selling Navigator as the Navigator has a huge market share. The truth is that the Navigator also has the most complaints and most bench time.

It is falsely compared to robotics as the price points are nowhere in the same vicinity. If you are a sweep buyer in the the sub $500 range and want quality with no headaches and are willing to pay anywhere from $50 - 100 more than the top seller, this is the sweep for you.

We sell them for $425.00 which is a great deal and the most I've seen them out there for is $495.00. You can find them as lower prices but those are not real market prices as these sweeps are usually factory units sold directly to someone in a promotional sense.

• gw_monkeyjac
    15 years ago

We recently bought The Pool Cleaner. We've had it in the pool for about 3 weeks straight now. It runs 12 hours a day. I love it. It's fantastic. It cleans the bottom and sides perfectly. The pool is sparkling clean. It's so powerful it just about drives itself out of the pool. I'm very happy with the PC and would buy it again without hesitation.

• khami2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for the great information and recommendations. Our pool is 15x30, 3-8' deep, and has a mid pool receptacle for the hose to plug into. That said, I believe I need to order the 2x suction model as the 4x might be over-kill for a pool my size. I have found the 2x model pricing on-line ranging from $329-$400. Repair Guy, how do I find your website? Also, what did you mean that lower priced units were not at real market prices?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

You'd have to get that from the e-mail. Not allowed to post it here.

By "not real market price", I mean that these lower priced units are usually factory to dealer units. They bypass wholesale distribution. These units do not wholesale for that low price. They do sell direct from factory at a price to make $329 worth being in business, barely.

I sell more at a price cheaper in my area than other guys as they are not buying from the factory. I have a slight advantage over them in terms of retail pricing. If you can get one at $329 and you knows it's brand new and the dealer is reputable (whatever that means) go for it. You got a good deal. We sell them for $425 but that is for delivery and set up. The online sales we make for delivery are about $350.00 plus shipping but again, we are not paying the real market wholesale for our units.

• khami2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, I am not receiving the follow-up emails. I appreciate all the helpful information you provided about the Pool Cleaner.

• juzjon
    15 years ago

I had one for a week and hated it. I ordered a Hayward Navigator and my PB thought he'd just pop one of these on me instead. Looks like a mini John Deere with all of it's tracks and stuff. I just didn't like it. My pool is black bottom and Hayward makes some nice cleaning equipment meant for black bottom pools.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

kham, no e-mails received on my end.

Juzjon, they make a black bottom version. What did you not like about it? What do you mean, all of its tracks? It has two wheels. Glad you like the Hayward. Most do initially, it's the 18 month part that hurts.

• ronij
    15 years ago

Repair Guy,

what do you mean about the 18 month part? Our PB wants us to use one, but we were shopping around first.

• shootnpar
    15 years ago

I have the Pool Cleaner and it works great but "does" get caught on drain covers. There may be a way to adjust that but I haven't figured it out yet. Otherwise, it does a good job.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

If you are stuck on a drain, you have not set the suction correctly.

By 18 months, I mean this is an 18 month sweep on average. Builders love them as they work great initially. when the builder is out, you then begin adding parts. Way too many, and you will continue to do so. I've said it over and over. Go to a pool store and look at the parts wall or workbench. You will see all Navigators and no Pool Cleaners.

• shootnpar
    15 years ago

repair guy,

how do you set the suction?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

If on a dedicated line, decrease skimmer. If in the skimmer on some sort of attachment, buy a VAC MATE and adjust there.

• copelt
    15 years ago

I see that there is also a pressure side Pool Cleaner model (no booster pump required) in addition to the suction side models. Does anyone find one type superior to the other?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

I have never used the pressure PC. I'm partial to the suction and convert all pressure all pressure lines to suction.

• khami2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also have a black bottom pebbetec pool and could have ordered the optional black version of The Pool Cleaner. We decided on the 2 wheel white version instead (suction side model) and received it this week. Our concern was how it cleaned and not how it looked in the pool. So while it doesn't have the designer look of the Navigator, its superior (cleaning) performance makes the Navigator look like an amateur. The pressure is converted from the skimmer to the dedicated line in our pool but the main drain is still pulling and The Pool Cleaner walks right over the drain without a problem. It also efficiently navigates (makes turns) and walks up the pool walls with ease. Our Navigator spent all of its time doing circles in the same parts of the pool until we physically moved it. It also was challenged with the walls, especially in the deep end of the pool. No doubt this was because the flap(s) or some other part was failing and needed to be replaced.....again. We nursed the Navigator for 12 years and my husband repaired it numerous times with parts which were very pricey. I live in Florida and have never seen The Pool Cleaner in any retail stores. Luckily, the internet brought this high quality cleaner to my attention.

• t-rex
    15 years ago

khami, Sorry for the delayed reply, did not see this - I really wish they would change these forums to 'real' forum software. Anyway, I have not used my Pool Cleaner much since pump went out and then pool was down due to deck remodel. But in the few times I tested it, it did seem to perform well. It did not get stuck which was the main problem with every other cleaner. It seemed to clean well but I'll post more details after I get the pool back up.

• khami2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

t-rex, I wondered if you would find my post since I had poblems navigating through the forum site. Thanks to repair guy's recommendations, I ordered one and have added my own review a couple posts up. When you get your pool remodel complete, you will probably agree that The Pool Cleaner was a great choice!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

How are they holding up? Still haven't purchased one.

• Boby Huffard
    15 years ago

any other opinions?

• domingos35
    15 years ago

i have the 4 wheel one and love it.keeps the pool clean

• Boby Huffard
    15 years ago

does anyone run one with a solar cover on?

• mas985
    15 years ago

I have the suction cleaner going on 4 years now and it is working great for me. I leave it running most of the time and have replaced the tires once.

Also, I run it with the solar cover on without any problems.

The best thing about the unit is it works over a large range of suction levels and flow rates. So if I have solar on and flow rate decreases, the unit will still climb the pool walls. I can also run it at a still lower flow rate (have an adjustment valve) and have it just clean the bottom but at a slower rate which is what I do most of the time.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

thanks. I want to get one within the next couple of weeks but wanted to check because everything seems to work well new, and wanted some opinions on people who have had it for a while.

• lindamarie
    15 years ago

My pool cleaner won't move. Cleaned the filter.Water seems to be filtering fine.

• tfons1219
    15 years ago

I just ordered the new pressure side model - gets here friday - will let you know how it works. My pool doesn't get to dirty - anything that stirs up the light dirt will probably do well.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

lindamarie, do you have the "Pool Cleaner"? Is there a clog somewhere?

• walkar
    14 years ago

tfons1219: how's your experience with the pressure side model? Does it work as you'd expect? Would you recommend it? (ex-RayVac owner)

• Boby Huffard
    14 years ago

I am not sure which model to get---2 or 4 wheel. Our pool is 16X34 free form and only 6 feet deep. We are interested in the suction model --- we have two skimmers on one side. I thought the 2 wheel would do. What do you think?
    Boby

• tfons1219
    14 years ago

So I got the pressure one, set it up as directed including testing for proper wheel revolutions...it is a total P.O.S.

It picks up the occasional leaf (blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while too) but does virtually nothing for dirt/sediment on the bottom. And, it constantly ran into a wall and then would stay there. Not an obstruction, just in the middle of a straight wall. I let it run for about 5 hours a couple of times and still hate it.

So if you'd like one, I can make you a deal...

T

• jmas65
    14 years ago

Boby -
    I have a 2 wheeled suction model for my 18x36 L shaped pool. Works great - much, much happier than I was with my Navigator.

• dogue_lover
    14 years ago

How does this cleaner perform in Pools with a "Beach Enrty"?

• dogue_lover
    14 years ago

sorry... I meant Beach Entry... Duh

• dssxxxx
    14 years ago

If you want a pool vacuum/cleaner that works day in and day out, then get a Aquabot or Dolphin. Get either in the Turbo model and they clean your inground pool in about 1 hour.

Have been using for the last 20+ years and only negatives have been getting service for the Dolphin. Aquabot service is expensive but you're able to get it.

Good luck and I'm not affiliated with either.

• grandpool_cox_net
    13 years ago

We've been selling the Pool Cleaners for 4 years now. By far they have been much more reliable than any other suction side cleaner out there,I won't name brands.We sell them so that we don't have upset customers within afew months time. I hope Poolvernuegen keeps up the good work ! Sincerely, Doug- Grand Pool&Patio,Surprise,AZ.

• Jeffd1
    13 years ago

I've owned the 4-wheeled version of "The Pool Cleaner" since 2002. Had a Polaris and hated it!!! My first "Pool Cleaner" was "used" and given to me by a friend in the pool business. I am on my 3rd now and love them! The first 2 were called "Trackers" and made by a company that went out of business (I believe). They are easy to maintain and do a great job on the floor and walls. Cleans my pool in a couple of hours. My pool has 90 degree angle walls-to-floor. No incline. The cleaner will nose into the wall and (eventually) turn or climb itself out. As a result, my wheels wear out on the inside hub/gears quicker. The manufacturers use metal drive shafts that tend to chew up the inside of the plastic front wheel hub gears after awhile (9 months to a year). I rotate my wheels and tires from front to rear to extend life. I use a Hayward Skim Vac plate that allows cleaning every other day. Mine runs +12 hours a day. Parts can also be pricey. Tires can cost as much as a set of tires for a small car (over $40 with shipping, each!) I bought my latest "Pool Cleaner" from INYOPools.com. Great price and quick delivery!

• kal2002
    12 years ago

Hi Jeffd1, based on your experience with The Pool Cleaner, are there other parts that need to be replaced as often as the tires?

• GWork17151_aol_com
    12 years ago

My pressure side will not "sit down." I do not have a variable speed pump. I have one return. I changed front tires with slighly larger humps = no improvement

• susanincavecreek_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I so love this cleaner, we have had a hayward (how many feet can you replace) and a baracuda (my fins need replacing again). Our pool MAN loves it and is recommending it to all his clients. I was at my wits end, ready to call the sand truck to fill it up. I love it. I have used my pool more this year than the 10 previous.

• magicalmark
    10 years ago

I have desert landscaping near my diving pool so I frequently have some small rocks in the pool. I am currently using a Hayward which stops dead every time it picks one up.

I have been told that the poolvergnuegen will not have this problem. Any experience?