Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning White 'Stuff' Between Tile & the Coping

Posted by deannad (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 12:47

I do plan to ask at the local pool supply tomorrow, but their employees aren't very helpful, so I thought I would try you smart people. Our pool has the normal row of tiles around the top BUT the tiles don't completely butt up against the top. Instead there is about 1" of white plaster or thinset or grout (but doesn't look like the grout between the tiles). Whatever it is is really dirty and even seems to be wearing away. After watching some pool tile repair videos I really think it's thinset and the geniuses just used it to cover the space when they laid the tile. I'm wondering if I could just put another coat of 'something' on top that would cover it up and look better? Maybe a water proof caulk? This area is above the waterline unless we get major rain and the pool overflows.

Any ideas? We tried cleaning it last year and maybe it helped a little, but where it's wearing away I need another solution. We had the pool replastered last year, but they wouldn't touch the tile or above. We didn't think to ask for an opinion.

You really can't even see this area (the pool edge hides most of it) unless you're IN the pool, so I don't need a gorgeous solution - just serviceable!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning White 'Stuff' Between Tile & the Coping

Our pool boy (me) takes a chorine tablet and rubs our "stuff" with it when it gets grungey. It really does help some. Wear gloves and don't breathe in.

o
RE: Cleaning White 'Stuff' Between Tile & the Coping

Hit it with olive oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here