Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Swimming Pool for both Volleyball and Diving

Posted by JenniferNE (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 12:33

My kids want a diving board. Mom wants water volleyball. What is the best shape to accommodate both? My volleyball area does not need to be big....just enough to get one row of players on each side of the net. I'm curious is anyone else struggled with this problem as I've spoken to 3 pool builders and they say it is too hard to have both?? Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Swimming Pool for both Volleyball and Diving

I would, if I built pools, suggest an L shaped pool. Whether it fits your budget or not, I don't know.

Scott

o

Someone on one of the forums had a butterfly or heart shaped pool where one wing was the deep end for diving and the other side was the sport side. But an L shape is probably the classic way to deal with this. A lot depends upon how much space you have and, of course, budget. There are some regulations on the diving part as far as depth, slope, length, etc to minimize injury potential. It can be done, but would likely be a pretty large pool.

o

Thanks Scott. It does fit the budget, just not sure it fits the yard. ;-) I have attached a file where I tried to piece together 3 pictures to show the yard (ignore the weeds!). We have 5 acres, but we have a smaller immediate back yard and we want to have the pool there as we already have outdoor TVs, kitchen, etc.... All the landscaping can be torn out. I was thinking L, Lazy L, or T? Just want to make sure to make best decision.

o

We inherited our 70s pool when we bought our house in December. I think this T shape might have been meant for the situation you are describing. Personally, we think the deep end (the left hand side of the photo) is a little shallow for the diving board. It's OK for me, I'm 5'3", but my hubby is 6' and he is very cautious when diving there - his hands brush the bottom every time. I wish our shallow end was a little shallower, but then again, I'm short and not big on swimming - love to float around with a drink, though! Apologies for the picture, this is when we were taking it back from the winter swamp but it's the only one I have that shows the shape pretty well. I think this is about 38,000 gallon pool. Keep in mind - the bigger it is, the more water/chemicals/skimming there is to do! :) I do wish it was easier shape where it could have an automatic cover, too. I don't think that's possible with this shape, and even a manual cover is going to be custom, difficult to use and $$$$.

pool before and after

o

Thanks Mia! Neat Shape! I know what you mean on large and $$$$, but I can't tell if I should try for both or go for a Diving and not a sports area or a sports area and not a diving. Not sure which would really get more use. Kids want diving. I want sports. ;-)

o

Thanks Mia! Neat Shape! I know what you mean on large and $$$$, but I can't tell if I should try for both or go for a Diving and not a sports area or a sports area and not a diving. Not sure which would really get more use. Kids want diving. I want sports. ;-)

o

Hi Jennifer -

Just curious what you decided. We are just starting to look into pools and are having the same dilemma. I love the T shape, but really want the automatic cover!

o

We built exactly that in 2008. I call it a stocking or sock shaped pool with the rounded edges. It is hard to get it all in the camera but I'll try to post a few pics. The shallow end is 3.5 -4- 3.5 deep and 27 feet long. diving depth is 9 feet and there is plenty of torpedo room. The slope from shallow to deep is drastic.
 photo IMG_0208.jpg

http://s278.beta.photobucket.com/user/zookepper93/media/IMG_0209.jpg.html

The ingound pole holes are the white cap to the left and the far right cap to the right. The nearest cap is where it was put in the wrong place and it is now an umbrella stand
 photo IMG_0211.jpg

o

This may help

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool shapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here