Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferne_gw

Best Swimming Pool for both Volleyball and Diving

JenniferNE
11 years ago

My kids want a diving board. Mom wants water volleyball. What is the best shape to accommodate both? My volleyball area does not need to be big....just enough to get one row of players on each side of the net. I'm curious is anyone else struggled with this problem as I've spoken to 3 pool builders and they say it is too hard to have both?? Thanks for any input.

Comments (9)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I would, if I built pools, suggest an L shaped pool. Whether it fits your budget or not, I don't know.

Scott

• bpricedo
    11 years ago

Someone on one of the forums had a butterfly or heart shaped pool where one wing was the deep end for diving and the other side was the sport side. But an L shape is probably the classic way to deal with this. A lot depends upon how much space you have and, of course, budget. There are some regulations on the diving part as far as depth, slope, length, etc to minimize injury potential. It can be done, but would likely be a pretty large pool.

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Scott. It does fit the budget, just not sure it fits the yard. ;-) I have attached a file where I tried to piece together 3 pictures to show the yard (ignore the weeds!). We have 5 acres, but we have a smaller immediate back yard and we want to have the pool there as we already have outdoor TVs, kitchen, etc.... All the landscaping can be torn out. I was thinking L, Lazy L, or T? Just want to make sure to make best decision.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

We inherited our 70s pool when we bought our house in December. I think this T shape might have been meant for the situation you are describing. Personally, we think the deep end (the left hand side of the photo) is a little shallow for the diving board. It's OK for me, I'm 5'3", but my hubby is 6' and he is very cautious when diving there - his hands brush the bottom every time. I wish our shallow end was a little shallower, but then again, I'm short and not big on swimming - love to float around with a drink, though! Apologies for the picture, this is when we were taking it back from the winter swamp but it's the only one I have that shows the shape pretty well. I think this is about 38,000 gallon pool. Keep in mind - the bigger it is, the more water/chemicals/skimming there is to do! :) I do wish it was easier shape where it could have an automatic cover, too. I don't think that's possible with this shape, and even a manual cover is going to be custom, difficult to use and $$$$.

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mia! Neat Shape! I know what you mean on large and $$$$, but I can't tell if I should try for both or go for a Diving and not a sports area or a sports area and not a diving. Not sure which would really get more use. Kids want diving. I want sports. ;-)

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mia! Neat Shape! I know what you mean on large and $$$$, but I can't tell if I should try for both or go for a Diving and not a sports area or a sports area and not a diving. Not sure which would really get more use. Kids want diving. I want sports. ;-)

• andi_k
    11 years ago

Hi Jennifer -

Just curious what you decided. We are just starting to look into pools and are having the same dilemma. I love the T shape, but really want the automatic cover!

• llcp93
    11 years ago

We built exactly that in 2008. I call it a stocking or sock shaped pool with the rounded edges. It is hard to get it all in the camera but I'll try to post a few pics. The shallow end is 3.5 -4- 3.5 deep and 27 feet long. diving depth is 9 feet and there is plenty of torpedo room. The slope from shallow to deep is drastic.

http://s278.beta.photobucket.com/user/zookepper93/media/IMG_0209.jpg.html

The ingound pole holes are the white cap to the left and the far right cap to the right. The nearest cap is where it was put in the wrong place and it is now an umbrella stand

• muddy_water
    11 years ago

This may help

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool shapes