Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Long to run my pump

Posted by NewLKNPool (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 12:00

Have a new 19,000 gallon pool and spa and a 2 hp Jandy Stealth Pump... Pool will be 30 days old on Saturday and PB had me run the pump for 24 hours a day for the last 30 days... want to cut that back now (my electric bill is outrageous!)

Question.. how long should I run it and what are the best time to run? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Long to run my pump

24x7 for 30 days ?
Wow.

My pool is 14k gallons, 2 hp pump, I keep my chlorine at 3 PPM.

I run 4 hours a day summer scheduled, and run the pump while we are using the pool and usually 2-3 hours afterwards.
We use the pool every other day.
Stabilizer is at 30 PPM.

It really comes down to what keeps your pool clean, clear and if you have a salt chlorinator the right level of Chlorine.

o
RE: How Long to run my pump

There is a good article explaining this and the myriad factors that go into determining pump run time on a different site. GardenWeb won't let me link to it, but I will describe how to access it below. We're facing this same question ourselves, so are in the phase of cutting back a little at a time and seeing how the water looks. We have a 1.0 hp pump and a 38K gal pool, and have just started at 18 hrs per day. We'll begin backing it up a few hours next week and see how the water looks.

The article is on trouble free pool dot com, then click pool school button on the upper right. Scroll down to the How To section, then see "Determine Pump Run Time." Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here