Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aupatrick

Vinyl pool question

aupatrick
12 years ago

We are talking with several pool builders in the area about building us a inground vinly liner pool. ONe company has been in business for 50+ years, which is a big plus. HOwever, they build their pools by using wood walls. That surprised me as I didn't think the wood would last that long being buried under ground. The company said it's not an issue. However, I'm concerned.

Has anyone here heard of a company building inground pools with wood structure/walls?

Comments (6)

• muddy_water
    12 years ago

Yep there are alot out there that were built years ago. Not to many companys build them now. But if it were me I would go with Steel wall constuction and quote apples to apples.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

+1 for steel.

Scott

• aupatrick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scott and Muddy Water,

I know you prefer steel, but what are the drawbacks of wood. This guy doesn't use steel. He says that he doesn't becuase of the type of soil we have here.

Bottom line, should I avoid use of wood and find another pool guy?

• nylsor107
    12 years ago

Hi Aupatrick,
    We just completed our 24'x44', 33,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. Our PB has over 50 years experience and only uses steel walls. Our pool feels as rock solidly built as gunite. We also did a custom poured concrete 'stone' coping and concrete bottom/sides. We went with a 27mil liner and love the way it feels underfoot. It is very, very smooth and soft. Personally, I would not have ever considered wood. We have enough problems maintaining our cedar siding and decking. When I figure out how to do so, I will post some pictures soon. Best of luck to you as you begin this process.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Well, we don't know what you have in your locale. Most areas have some moisture in the soil. While marine grade pressure treated wood is fairly resistant to moisture and bugs, it will still decay. Repairs to wood walls is no picnic.

There was a time when Cyprus was used but that has long since stopped.

All wood walled pools also need wall foam between the wood and the liner. This typically gets replaced with a new liner at an add cost to the homeowner.

If your soil is such that steel, be it stainless or galvanized would decay, then resin wall panels and braces would be the suitable material. They never decay but usually cost more.

Scott

• muddy_water
    12 years ago

Below is a link to the manufacture of the pools that I build. I don't think that lowes will give the same warrenty for the materials this company uses. I just deleted some pics last week of a old wood wall pool that a customer had asked me to quote repairing. the walls had been undermined and the only thing holding up the decking was a 2x4 frame the sheets of plywood had pushed off the frame from pressure of the backfill. . It was the worst thing I had seen in a long time. They are out there and it is the old way of doing it, But in the long run and reselling your home you are better off to use steel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surf the Pool