Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New pool: flagstone delivered for coping looks horrible!

Posted by sandmant (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 11:55

I am having a 105 ft pool/spa built by McKinney Custom Pools in Pearland Texas, with the builder's "select blend flagstone" for coping. While the builder encouraged this coping, especially with our moss rock waterfall and weeping wall, he did say I will need to seal it and the other natural stone every 5 years.

I checked up on 4 references using his "select blend flagstone", and I (and more importantly my wife) liked the look.

Coping work began Friday while I was at work, and when I got home I was horrified. The flagstone looks mostly white, with a few rust stains here and there, and only a few pieces that look like the tan/brown-ish color I had seen before. Of the 10 or so pools with flagstone I looked at over the last few months, from various builders, I haven't seen any flagstone this ugly! I will try to post a few pics soon.

My big question: what are my options now? Can I force the builder to get better flagstone before proceeding? The builder returns from vacation tomorrow and I have not been able to contact him about the flagstone yet. When his contractors come early in the morning, should I turn them away (they don't speak English, so I can't explain much to them).

BTW, after google'ing a bit .... I checked, and the flagstone is "Oklahoma". The hammer test shows more of a dull sound than a ping, but I'm not too sure about my judgment.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New pool: flagstone delivered for coping looks horrible!

Oklahoma flagstone is NOT white. You should have a blend of brown, tans, orange but not white. I would demand your builder to put the proper stone in. It is a whole lot easier to make it an issue now than later.

o

Not trying to be a smart aleck, cause we did the exact same thing during our build, then we squirted some water on the stone.....

Yep, I said water. It could be a white film that gets on the rock, kind of a chalky/dusty type of stuff. Doesn't really come off with a wipe, but will under a little water pressure.

Shoot it with your water hose and see if yours is the same.

If that isn't what it is, then you should definitely put a halt to the process. It will save you time in the end.

Good Luck!

o

Thanks RollTideTX for the quick post. Are you a Bama fan?

I gave it a closer look and scrubbed a little harder, and thank goodness - I found the colors you mentioned underneath.

And wamaha too - you are exactly right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here