Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to add acid

Posted by SteveScan (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 11:54

Hi everyone. We've had our new pool in North Texas for a year now and are noticing the quartz plaster is getting rough around the main drain. I'm guessing it's from the large amounts of liquid acid we have to add. With 24,000 gallons, 20 hours per day filter time (mostly slow speed), salt water chlorine generator, and 25% generator setting, we're adding around 6 cups of acid every other day. I've been pouring it (probably too) quickly in front of a return jet in the deep end. Liquid hydrochloric acid is slightly heavier than water so maybe it's getting sucked into the main drain too quickly, pitting the plaster around the drain. Of course, I can add the acid more slowly, but would it be smart to use a slower pump speed or shut off the main drain, or walk the acid around the perimeter, or dilute with water first, or...? Advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to add acid

I mix 2 parts water, 1 part acid, adding the acid to the water.

I turn on my pump on high, my polaris to zoom around the floor and turn on my waterfall.

I then pour the acid in front a strong jet that shoots to the center of the pool.

I let all this run for 1-2 hours.
I then let the pump run another 2 hours.
Havent had an issue yet, seems to stir it up well.

o
RE: How to add acid

What is your TA? A lower TA (60-80) can help minimize your your pH drift. If you're not already familiar with it, Google "pool school."

Also, you can use an index such as the CSI or LSI to determine if your water is corrosive, and it can be corrected. Google "pool calculator".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here