Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jediknight_gw

PebbleTec Tahoe Blue vs. PebbleSheen Blue Granite

jediknight
10 years ago

We are finalizing plans for our first swimming pool and have one lingering decision to make regarding the interior finish. After countless hours of research (including many helpful comments here at GW) we still cannot decide between the Pebble Tec Tahoe Blue or the Pebble Sheen Blue Granite.

Our pool will be 17x34 in size and will be completely exposed to the sun - the only shade will come from a pergola set back quite a bit from the pool, so direct sunlight will be the norm. Of all our considerations, our #1 priority is to reduce or eliminate any shade of green to the extent possible. We are after a fairly natural looking medium blue hue - not too light, not too dark, not too Windex if that makes sense. Given those factors, any advice on which color best translates to a true blue finish would be most appreciated!

Comments (6)

• nukequazar
    10 years ago

I'm in total agreement with you about green! Green = algae = not in my pool!

Our plaster guy was really pushing Tahoe Blue, not sure why, although I got a hint from one of the installers that it might be one of the cheaper mixes.

Anyhow... After looking at many, many pictures online and talking to people, I found that Tahoe Blue definitely has a bit of green to it. I'm guessing it's named after a lake because natural bodies of water are green-blue because of plants living in them. The ocean only looks pure blue on Sandals Resorts commercials. ;)

We were between Midnight Blue and Tropics Blue and ended up using Tropics Blue (Stonescapes mini pebble) and we really like it. I think it's as close to a true medium blue as I've seen in a pool. It's dark enough to capture a little bit of heat but light enough to see the bottom clearly, and it has a really beautiful shimmer when the sun is on it. And we really like how the actual pebbles look where you can see them on the steps and in the spa. It's a really nice mix of colors. Now at some moments it might have a touch of the windex-look you're talking about. Thanks for that, by the way, I was calling it Kool Aid! But overall, it's a really nice, rich, shimmery, medium blue.

I suggest that you search online for images of the exact color names you're looking at. Look at many pictures and take in the whole range. Don't just focus on one image you like because there's no guarantee of how exactly it will look in your pool, in your yard, with your sunlight, etc.

Good luck!

• Robin
    10 years ago

Our pool is dug and the tile is next. We should have studied up on pool options before starting the pool.... we did not and are just now learning about Pebble Tec, Stonescape... my head is spinning! I have searched the web for info about all the different products. Some say Pebble Tec is best, and most seem happy with Stonescape. Our pool company has been in business a long time... he says you are paying for brand with Pebble Tec. Does anyone have Stonescape? I would love to see a pic of the Aqua Cool color or Carribean Blue. I don't want a green tint or a heavy blue tidy bowl effect. Any suggestion???

• Robin
    10 years ago

Our pool is dug and the tile is next. We should have studied up on pool options before starting the pool.... we did not and are just now learning about Pebble Tec, Stonescape... my head is spinning! I have searched the web for info about all the different products. Some say Pebble Tec is best, and most seem happy with Stonescape. Our pool company has been in business a long time... he says you are paying for brand with Pebble Tec. Does anyone have Stonescape? I would love to see a pic of the Aqua Cool color or Carribean Blue. I don't want a green tint or a heavy blue tidy bowl effect. Any suggestion???

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Tahoe Blue and Blue Granite were the exact two I was wrangling with when we were picking. Lake Tahoe is where we honeymooned so that was the sentimental favorite. The color of the stones were exactly what you see in Tahoe and the color of the water was exactly like the lake. Gorgeous. I loved the color of both. For me I wanted pebbles that were natural looking. Tans, browns, gray/blue, black. I didn't want any reds or bright blues or yellow. Our final choice was strictly based on texture because we loved both colors and stones so much. Blue Granite Pebblesheen was our pick because it was a wee bit smoother on the feet. I really liked the look of the larger stones in the Tec, tho.

• jediknight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like our predicament is a recurring one. We are leaning toward the Blue Granite pebble sheen. From all I have read, it has little to no green when in direct midday sun. Another question - how much does the color change throughout the day? Thanks again.