Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjsouth

Renovating my old pool and it looks scary!!

JJSouth
9 years ago

Hello all! I am new here and really need your help! I'm in the process of having my pool redone and things just don't seem right. My PB seems to think he's done an excellent job (he's been to my pool for abt 10 mins the entire month). Not sure where to start but here goes.....

1. New concrete coping and partial deck was poured. The coping near the old deck has a nice pitch to it, the coping around the deck he poured is flat. Only a 1/8'' drop from front of coping to end of deck which is about 3 ft.
I told him I wasn't happy with the unevenness and bumps but he claims he told me that it would be wavy.......ahhhh...no he didn't. My old coping was straight, why would I pay to have it replaced unevenly?!
They put kool deck around the coping to mask the ugliness. When they painted it they got paint all over glass tiles. To fix this they scraped it off leaving scratches. As you can see the kool deck/coping is all uneven on tile. When coping forms were taken off the front edge came off with form. They went back and hand patched the rest of it.....sighhh....

2. A new leak under my stairs appeared the day they came to plaster. They wanted to just plaster over the leak. I said NO WAY! Also the area around the jet's looks to be cut way too deep. He was going to plaster over this as well!! Is this correct?!

3. My tanning ledge build looks way off. Can you please give me your opinion on this?

Any advice would be helpful. I have always wanted a pool and finally got one. This is not what thought my summer would be like. :(

Thank you all!!!!

The image added is a before shot.

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 12:13

Comments (15)

• golfgeek
    9 years ago

jjsouth,
    Sorry, couldn't bring up your pictures!

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks GolfGreek! What is the best way to add multiple pics?

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Coping

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:35

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Coping

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:36

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:42

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tiles already coming off.....first happened when coping was poured then again when it was being cleaned...

There is also paint and concrete/kool deck all over my first tile line.

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:32

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

new decking (that is flat) is way thicker than previous. The old decking came up to the board on the bottom. They added the top board. Such a dangerous place now!

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:44

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

new coping and new deck....

DECKING BEFORE::

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:49

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

coping

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:41

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New leak emerged 2 days before plaster, which they were just going to plaster over....

"all sealed up"..?

IS IT OK TO PLASTER OVER THIS?!

TANNING LEDGE....

This post was edited by JJSouth on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:29

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    9 years ago

I hate swimming pool contractors! I am one myself. Lol! There are many good ones out there but especially ones like this make all the good ones look bad and affects the rest of us.
    I would stop what your doing before it gets worse and there is a point of no return.
    The coping and the deck are just unacceptable in overall workmanship. Not sure why they didn't Shotcrete over the exposed rebar when the Shotcrete crew was out there. Make sure they chip out around that one return more and apply hydraulic cement around the fitting to seal it up.

The block in front of the reef step is really not the way to do it and as I said earlier the rebar work is terrible. Not spliced properly, not enough clearance between others.

Where do you live? I may be able to recommend someone to you that could come out and take a look and write up a report for any future arbitration.

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again 94!!! I really appreciate your comments. Our contract expired last Thursday and I doubt they will return given that all they left behind was trash. :(
    We are in Charlotte, NC.

• golfgeek
    9 years ago

94 is absolutely right! It truly looks like a disaster.
    The pool is oddly shaped to begin with. It looks like it may have been converted from a vinyl pool to a concrete pool and I would be concerned about the existing cracks.
    Good luck.

• flapoolguy
    9 years ago

Wow! I have been a pool contractor for 22 years and there are things in those photos that make me scratch my head?

• JJSouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FlaPoolGuy can you elaborate? I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths