Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbintcliffe

New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

Chris
10 years ago

Hey all,

Starting a new thread since I've moved from a contemporary design to a lagoon style.

Here's the layout. Couple of minor changes from the below like we're going to outline all of the decking with flagstone

Pool specs:

Custom freeform pool
112' Perimeter ft
38'x24'
Approx. 24,500 gallons

4" deck drain system run to street
Overflow drain tied into drainage system and taken out to street
Automatic fill line with valve

8 return lines
1 cleaner lines
2 main drains
2 skimmers

Hayward 2.7hp total hp Tristar max efficient pool pump
Hayward 2.7hp total hp Tristar max efficient water feature pump
Hayward pool cleaner booster pump
425 sqft Hayward swim clear cartridge filter
Hayward prologic PS-8 with digital wireless remote and in-home docking station
Hayward H series 400,000 BTU heater
Hayward T-cell 9 Salt chlorination system turbo cell
Hayward colorlogic LED lights with preset light show function (2 lights in pool, 1 in spa)
Hayward neverlube valves

Polaris Black Max 280 pool cleaner

Wet edge pearl matrix or satin matrix

8 ton moss rock boulder waterfall with cave with 3 water locations on independent pump
Gunite pool slide with 5 gunite stairs, additional 2.7hp pump, epoxy slide coating. Sealed rock.

1,100 sqft new decking, 1350 sqft stamped overlay over new and existing decking

Dig scheduled for 8/3!! Woohoo! :)

This post was edited by cbink on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:22

Comments (118)

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flagstone surround to decking complete

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flagstone surround

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Looks amazing! I love how you plopped the palm in the hole - I would've done the same thing just to get the 'feel'. LOL It's gonna be great.

The stone coping around the pool and the side walk is really gorgeous.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks banana_fanna! Yeah, we couldn't resist 'trying out' the palms! Actually, those two are canary date palms so they won't be going in the planters as they may get too big but we just had to see how it would look! Haven't decided for sure on what we're putting in there. Probably a combination of Pygmy's and maybe a Queen or a windmill (these were the recommendations from my landscape guy).

We're really happy with the pool - just want to be able to swim in it now. Thanks for the compliment on the stone coping - we ummed and ahhed about doing it but are really happy with how it's turned out. Can't wait to see what it will look like when the stamped overlay gets done on the rest of the deck.

• corky7981
    10 years ago

Your pool is looking great. Have been watching your build while getting ready for mine. Really like the stone looks on the entry steps.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Corky! Slide was being worked on today. Will try and post pictures later on of that.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Slide

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Slide

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Slide

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

very good looking. have you decided on plaster yet? if Y, what have you chosen and why?

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bossyvossy - yes, we have decided on plaster. It is getting installed on Monday. We are going with WetEdge pearl matrix Chilean beach Tahoe. It's essentially the same as PebbleTec as best I understand.

It was a tough choice for us. Our PB took us to see several pools with colors we were interested in. We really loved the Tahoe in person. It was between that and the Caribbean version for us. We were looking for a blue that didn't look too fake. I'll post pictures of it next week.

Our slide was finished today! :) Very happy!

EDIT: rotated picture. Any idea why direct uploads from an iPhone are always upside down on a pc but look fine on the iPhone?!

This post was edited by cbink on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 7:40

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the pool's not finished yet but the fire pit has already had some use. Really glad we decided to get one! Had s'mores on it tonight!!

This post was edited by cbink on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 7:41

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Chilean Beach Tahoe was installed today! All set for acid wash tomorrow, then we start filling!!

This post was edited by cbink on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 20:57

• jenspence
    10 years ago

Wow...that looks awesome! So exciting! Love all your choices....just beautiful!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jenspence! We're very excited to see the color 'pop' after acid wash tomorrow and then finally get some water in this thing!!! :)
    We love the pool so far, so can't wait for it to be full!

This post was edited by cbink on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 22:06

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pool is filling!!

This post was edited by cbink on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 14:17

• jenspence
    10 years ago

So exciting! Looks awesome!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pool is now finished. Stamped overlay on decking and landscaping remaining.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Night shot

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another night shot

This post was edited by cbink on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 10:24

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brushing is starting to pay off. Color is getting closer to the final product!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Doesn't it just make you HAPPY??

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, and yes! Very happy!
    Decking is done, palms are in the planters and sod has been laid now!!

This post was edited by cbink on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 11:26

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Night shot

This post was edited by cbink on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 11:27

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Safety fence installed. It's a Katchakid fence.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Safety fence

• ricky73
    10 years ago

Great setup. Beautiful lighting. really like your pool. The shape of the pool seems to fit your yard great. Now that the pool is filled, how deep is the water?

• womanowned
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to you both!
    We spent the afternoon in it today. The slide is a whole hoot of fun. It's actually pretty quick. Our 2 yr old boy adores it. He can't get enough of it.

Ricky73 - it's about 7'3" (it is 7'6" at the drain but 7'3" is more representative of the deep end as a whole)

• ricky73
    10 years ago

I have a 2 year old and a 9 year old. Great idea for the safety fence. They will love your pool. I'm planning to build mine next year. You mind telling me how much did you spend on total price of the pool and landscape.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pool, deck and all equipment came out at about $87 ($2k of that was additional electrical outlets and pre plumbing for a future outdoor kitchen as well as guttering round the back of the house). The only landscaping I've done is the 3 palms which ran me about another $1,800. The sprinkler repair was another $2,250 and the safety fence about $1,500.

The sod repair was included in the $85k pool price. As you see it in the pictures and all up I'm at about $93k.

• ricky73
    10 years ago

Thanks, I live in Richmond Tx. I was thinking to built the same pool with different stone and outdoor kitchen.
    Did they give you a quote on the kitchen.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For what I was looking for; grill, side burner, fridge and sink it was about $10k. That's to build under my pre-existing covered patio. Since I decided to wait I think I'm going to add a separate bar area too.

I had to draw the line at some point on the spending and the kitchen was the natural place to stop. I'll do it another year along with more extensive landscaping.

• corky7981
    10 years ago

Deck looks great! Really helps bring it all together. I started with stamped concrete and moved down to spray deck to cut out about $5K...trying to keep budget down is tough.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - we're really happy with how it turned out. We did have a flip out moment where we couldn't decide on colors for the decking and nearly went with spray deck instead. I think spray deck is a classic & fairly timeless look - I'm sure you'll be really happy with it.

Trying to keep budget down is definitely tough. My take on it was we're intending to live in this house for a decent amount of time (at least 10 years) and I didn't want to regret spending just a little more on things I couldn't change down the road. So the pool had the money put into it and the landscaping and outdoor kitchen will get done in the future since it's fairly easy to add them (especially since I've pre-plumbed the kitchen and designed my sprinkler system around future landscaping).

• poolprincess
    10 years ago

Looks great! Congrats!!

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

fantabulous, truly fantabulous

• peytonroad
    10 years ago

thank you for sharing, it looks gorgeous with the brick. Thanks for the $number too, helps with my eventual plan some day.......far.....far......away.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! We've really been enjoying it.

Peytonroad - Don't give up. This has been a few years in the waiting for us.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arial shot courtesy of Google!
    Really happy with how it turned out. Roll on next summer!

• Flipp1105
    10 years ago

Summer can't get here fast enough. I am so tired of the cold weather we have had in S.E. Texas this year.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You and me both Flipp! Roll on summer I say!
    Managed to get a panoramic shot which shows the pool and a pretty representative shot of the water color. It's amazing how different the water looks in different light conditions...!

• Sbutos624
    10 years ago

Wow... Such a beautiful pool!!! We live in west Houston, and are about to choose a builder... How did you like your pool builder?
    Your entire timeline of photos has been so helpfull!!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sbutos624 - Thank you!
    We were very happy with our pool builder. We used Grand Isle Pools and only have very positive things to say about the builder and the whole experience and would happily recommend them to others.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Video tour of the pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video tour of the pool

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

It's just beautiful. One of my favorite elements are the palms. Something about palm fronds in a breeze by the pool....

• womanowned
    10 years ago

Great pool, cbink! May I ask how the gunite slide feels going down it? Is it rough on the skin or have any issues that you have noticed

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks All!

Womaowned - We're very happy with the slide - It's plenty slick and we've not noticed issues with roughness.

The guys that did it (MMG) did tell me that when it starts to not be as slick that it will need refinishing.

• Elizablue
    9 years ago

Your new build looks absolutely beautiful. I recently did a full remodel on my older pool. May I ask where you got your palms.

My three palms two of which are over 25 ft tall recently were diagnosed with Texas Phoenix Palm Decline and are dead or dying.

I will have to replace them in the coming year or so. So I'm looking for something which may be resistant to this disease.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Elizablue.

I got the palms from Beyond Paradise. They have a location in Cypress and one in Katy.

They all are doing great and the triple Pygmy survived the cold winter which we feared it may not (I was in San Antonio when we got freezing rain that wasn't predicted so I didn't get to wrap it in a planket). The service and advice there was great too. Hope you find something you like.