Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiant heat, pex, and heating a new pool.

Posted by md2b78 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 10:29

Hello all!

My house has radiant heat heat floors throughout, and they are heated using a geothermal heating system. It rocks.

Next, we want to install a pool in the backyard.

The question is: Can we use geothermal to heat the pool?

The idea is to line the floor and walls of the pool with hundreds of feet of radiant-capable pex before a final layer of concrete is put down (or vinyl?). Connect this to a geothermal unit and profit, am I right? In theory, it should heat the floor and walls of the pool the same way the floors of our home are heated.

I can't be the only person who has thought of this, but I can't find anything on the interwebs. Does anyone know where to look?

Thanks for your help. I am stumped.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiant heat, pex, and heating a new pool.

Im not sure that running all that pex would maintain the integrity of the gunite shell. You may have to make the shell thicker than a normal shell, and i would think the pex would have to be awfully near the surface to transfer any heat to the water. Why not just use the geothermal to heat the pool water directly? If you are already heating up the water that is flowing in the pex, just build a normal shell, and put a second line on your geothermal unit that is a loop for the pool.

o

It would be very ineffective, as the ground especially when wet acts as a heat sink. (warmth moves to cold)
As above poster sort of mentioned, a tube type stainless steel/titanium heat exchanger in the pool piping would be much more effective.

o

I've built a pool heated this way. The owner loves it and swears that it is wonderfully efficient but I have no data to support this.

o

I have built many pools this way, very efficient heating water from the bottom up. Two above are kind of correct, you must put a barrier between the earth and shell, I use a foil type bubble barrier on the floor and up the walls, be sure to use multiple zones and allow for your delta-t not to be more than 5 degrees different between zones. I also have used heat exchangers, I will always use a deep heat side wall return in the deep end only, mixes the water well. good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here