Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferne_gw

New Pool Build - Omaha, NE

JenniferNE
11 years ago

I've pretty much picked my PB after 4 bids. Now I just can't decide where I need to push on construction or options. I only have so much room so going with 20X46 rectangle as I really would like Diving (kids want 10yo and 8 yo) and volleyball (mom wants). I'm not going crazy but plan to build with some upgrades, stamped/colored concrete and coping, etc...I sit up on top of a high hill and my back yard is a retaining wall, so it will look a bit like an infinity pool. Thus here is my pool build if any of you have suggestions, things I forgot, things I shouldn't do, or can answer my line item questions for this pool rookie. Thanks!

1) How deep would you do for diving? Right now I'm at 8.5ft.

2) My PB says at 8.5ft then I need 29 for deep end and 17 for shallow. I really want 20ft for volleyball. If I look at the ANSI standards it appears that I only need 23ft for 8 ft deep, 25.5ft for 8.5 deep. Thoughts?

3) Vinyl Liner Pool. I'm still undecided on dark blue or tan. I've been reading on these forums and can't really tell if the dark blue really saves you that much on heat. Contract says 28 mil. I saw some posts that 28mil on wall and 20 mil on bottom. Do they really make those?

4) Wall System - Galvanized Steel, Steps - Steel liner covered / Pacific

5) Filter 30" Sand, Pump 1.5HP, Heater 400,000 BTU, Propane, 2" Schedule 40 PVC Skimmers - 2, 4 Returns, 2 Bottom Drains

6) Pool Lighting 300W Clear - 2

7) Mesh Winter Covers 5X5 stapping

8) SWG - I hear this is the best on these forums for ease of maintenance. We always on the go and will pay for ease. However, not good with soft stone, etc.. If I do concrete coping, am I ok?

Total $46,0000

Options: Any of these you are happy with or not? Glad you upgraded?

Cartridge Filter $500

Variable Speed Pump $800

Heat Pump $3,500

Auto Cleaner Dolphin M4 $1,100

Frog Mineral System $550. I read Don't do this as it adds metals and leaves stains

Delta UV System $1,000. I read these are not worth it for outdoor pools?

Extra pool light 500W Clear $700

LED: $700

Diving Board $1,200

Colored Ladder / Handrail $300

Custom Steps & Bench $3,000. Right now the drawing shows corner steps and the bench extends the length of shallow. Do people find benches useful? Will they get used? I was debating steps in the pool (that take up my shallow end space) vs steps outside of the pool rectangle coming in.

Pentair Easytouch $2,500

Laminar $1,700 each

Pentair Water Jet $500 each

Volleyball Set $600

Baseketball Set $850

Thanks everyone! I'll keep posting pictures and how the build is going.

Comments (10)

• bpricedo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does your county have any regulations? Maybe the PB is quoting those. I'm sure you could call the county inspector or someone and find out.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

8' Depth is fine, even with a dive stand.

What is the hopper and bottom made of?

How much decking?

A 20 mil liner is fine but it they have it, many offer thicker material for the pool's steps. There are colored thermoplastic steps too. I am glad I have mine (white). My pool is 39' and I wouldn't want steps or a bench taking up my shallow end. I have lots of floats, boats and noodles.

Yes, they make 28 mil walls and floors. Great for wall foamed concrete walled or wood walled pools. They don't last any longer than a 20 mil for normal use.

Concrete is fine with salt systems. Skip the Frog and UV.

Laminars will normally require their own pump and it is strongly encouraged that a filter be added too. See below though where I talk about the pump.

I suspect you meant either Deck Jets or Deck Jet IIs when you mentioned Water Jets.

I can't see needing more than a 1 HP for general circulation unless the equipment is 100' away.

Do your power costs justify a variable speed? If you are going with laminars, its extra flow capabilities might save the need for a second pump to feed them but I would suggest bumping the filter up to a Quad 80 DE filter for the increased flow capabilities.

I would go with the colored rails and ladders with the salt cell. Make sure the sockets the rail (s) and ladder fit in to are also plastic. I have seen what happens when cheap sockets get used here.

Two lights are fine but get colored Intellibrites. They have white built in too but colored lighting really adds to the ambiance.

I don't see a need for the Easy Touch unless you put in the laminars, Intelliflow, Intellibrites and Intellichlor. Then you will want to decide on which remotes to use. Those aren't mentioned and will likely cost more.

What brand of safety cover is important. They aren't all the same. The big guns in this market do things that make them stronger that many others don't do to keep costs down.

The M4 robot is designed for pools to 36', yours is 40'. I suggest the Supreme M5 or Diagnostic models. They are made to accommodate larger pools such as yours.

Are there limits on running the electric?

How big is the decking?

WRT the diving board, check your homeowners insurance. Some won't allow it. Don't expect a spring board like a swim club might have.

How long is the warranty for the pool?

Any fencing? If not, budget it in.

Scott

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lost my huge email I typed up here. I thought it posted but now I don't see it. I send you email. Thanks again for the reply!

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks SO MUCH Scott for the reply. My answers in **:

What is the hopper and bottom made of? **It says Galvanized Steel Wall System

How much decking? **As much as I can possibly fit. 4ft is the minimum due to Code, but going to all of the edges of the yard above the retaining wall.

A 20 mil liner is fine but it they have it, many offer thicker material for the pool's steps. There are colored thermoplastic steps too. I am glad I have mine (white). My pool is 39' and I wouldn't want steps or a bench taking up my shallow end. I have lots of floats, boats and noodles.

Yes, they make 28 mil walls and floors. Great for wall foamed concrete walled or wood walled pools. They don't last any longer than a 20 mil for normal use. **I've selected the Plastimayd Sandstone Liner, no Border. It only comes in 20 mil so that works!

Concrete is fine with salt systems. Skip the Frog and UV. **Done. They are out.

Laminars will normally require their own pump and it is strongly encouraged that a filter be added too. See below though where I talk about the pump. **Thanks. I'll ask PB about additional Pump,Filter

I suspect you meant either Deck Jets or Deck Jet IIs when you mentioned Water Jets. **Yes, but now going with Laminars as Deck Jets do not have lights, correct. Aren't Laminars essentially Deck Jets with Lights?

I can't see needing more than a 1 HP for general circulation unless the equipment is 100' away. **It is not

Do your power costs justify a variable speed? If you are going with laminars, its extra flow capabilities might save the need for a second pump to feed them but I would suggest bumping the filter up to a Quad 80 DE filter for the increased flow capabilities. **I have no idea how to calculate power costs to justify? I know my electic rates are 0.931/KWH. I will ask PB to bump up to Quad 80 DE

I would go with the colored rails and ladders with the salt cell. Make sure the sockets the rail (s) and ladder fit in to are also plastic. I have seen what happens when cheap sockets get used here. **Plastic sockets vs metal or powder coat? I did ask Inter-Fab about powder coat and brass anchors with SWG and they said they are fine, but rise off occassionally.

Two lights are fine but get colored Intellibrites. They have white built in too but colored lighting really adds to the ambiance. **Done. Can't wait.

I don't see a need for the Easy Touch unless you put in the laminars, Intelliflow, Intellibrites and Intellichlor. Then you will want to decide on which remotes to use. Those aren't mentioned and will likely cost more. **I do plan on those 4 things you mentioned. Didn't realize the remote was not included. I'll ask.

What brand of safety cover is important. They aren't all the same. The big guns in this market do things that make them stronger that many others don't do to keep costs down. **He said Coverlogix 5000M. Is that brand good? I know it's not Ultra-Loc. I was going to ask to upgrade to 9000M to keep the sun out better. I live in Omaha, NE so the water temps will not be very warm at all in off season.

The M4 robot is designed for pools to 36', yours is 40'. I suggest the Supreme M5 or Diagnostic models. They are made to accommodate larger pools such as yours. **Done. I will PB to change.

Are there limits on running the electric? **No, other than the bill I willing to pay. ;-)

How big is the decking? **As much as I can possibly fit. 4ft is the minimum due to Code, but going to all of the edges of the yard above the retaining wall.

WRT the diving board, check your homeowners insurance. Some won't allow it. Don't expect a spring board like a swim club might have. **Insurance Agent said OK. I was going to go with the Inter-Fab Bounder Spring Diving Base with a Tan board to blend in with the landscape. Hopefully the boulder base doesn't look cheesy in person.

How long is the warranty for the pool? **It says "Contractor warrants that all work performed by Contractor shall be done in a good and workmanlike manner in accordance with accepted trade practices. Contractor guarantees the workmanship on the swimming pool for the life time of the pool to the original pool owner provided Contractor is notified of the problem within a reasonable time. This guarantee does not cover, shifting or settling of soil, ground movement, damages resulting from underground, surface or drainage water, or any problems that occur from an act of nature. Warranty coverage term begins upon completion of the pool, subject to Contractor�s receipt of final payment.

The warranties for assemblies, equipment, liner, pool walls, etc. and the like shall be those warranties provided by the manufacturer or supplier of that item rather than based upon Contractors� warranty herein. Contractor shall assemble and provide Owner all such manufacturer�s warranties. It is agreed and understood that any product warranties are subject to the express limitations of the manufacturer. "

Any fencing? If not, budget it in. **Yep...Working on that now. Not sure how it's going to work with my weird shape yard.

THANK AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. YOU ARE AMAZING.....and VERY KIND.

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To keep people posted on my new build. Lesson #1. IF you are building a home that needs a Septic, do NOT let your builder cheap out and put it right behind the house in case you want to do something in your Backyard ----Like a POOL! It cost be $3900 to move my septic tank 15 feet and shorten some laterals to get within code. UUUGH.

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a ton of room to work with, but enough for 20X46 Pool. The pool will have a bit of an infinity look just by being on top of this wall.

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tore out part of bottom tier retaining wall to put in 12X12 Pool house for equipment and to store floaties, etc...

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

$0.93/kwh would be a record cost for power. Did you mean $0.093/kwh by any chance?

Laminars also have a thicker stream of water so that when added colors are more easily seen. That results in each one needing a lot more water to make a nice arc that lands in the pool spashlessly.

Since you are building the pump house, if you can, avoid the having the plumbing that erupts from the ground go through the slab. Too many times have I seen this limit the amount of pipe available for repairs. I also suggest a slight pitch be added to the floor so any water leakages are directed to this cutout in the slab.

The steel wall construction doesn't reflect the pool's bottom or hopper construction material. Ask.

Coverlogix is not one I am seeing a lot of here. I am not a big fan of the double spring design. While the warranty is impressive, that doesn't equate into quality. If that is what brand he uses though, go with it. I would U/G to the 7000M series at least. It blocks significantly more light. The 9000M, IMHO, roll up for storage but will be large, heavy and floppy. The same holds true for their solid vinyl cover.

Scott

• JenniferNE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good grief. Yes, I meant 0.093/kwh. Typo

He said the pool bottom and hopper is made of PoolKrete.

Thank you for the tips on the pump house and cover!

• abkfoster
    10 years ago

Any updates? We are looking to build a new house with pool next year and found your thread very interesting. We also live in Omaha. Thank you!